London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
11 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I am so made up to find this & just in time too ! I have one of these in my front garden & Love it. Want it everywhere but cant afford to buy lots so perfect to be able to take my own cuttings. Thank you very much :)
24/11/2011 at 15:29
Roots are now showing. When I pot these on , will I need to keep them inside? Have not got a green house. Many thanks for great website.
24/11/2011 at 15:30
I'd like to know if teh same applies to V. bonareinsis too, please. And is there any advantage in taking cuttings above potting up self sown seedlings and parent plants?
Can I do this with Verbena bonariensis as well?
Do I keep them inside trough winter? I live far north.
It would be so helpfull as I sow V. bonariensis in loads every winter.
None of mine came up this year and I was loathed to spend more money on new plants this year however with this advice I will give them another go, thanks for advice
29/08/2012 at 14:30
Excellent - Agree with Gweno that this article is timely. I have a fantastic verbena that I want to propogate.

Have loads of verbena bonariensis and being in the South West (Cornwall) find that it self seeds EVERYWHERE! - not that I am complaining!
12/09/2012 at 20:08
I too find seedlings of bonariensis everywhere..in sw Cornwall too. Homestead purple and rigida are easy. I take layered roots and cuttings..do that in August.....keep,in greenhouse and plant out in spring. However, I find it does best in good soil even though I mostly grow it in a dry wall. I have a yellow osteospermum next to it and elymus magellanicus behind and they have flowered together all summer, still going strong. Took cutting of osteospermum in august too.
28/10/2013 at 18:25
Potted on rooted cuttings , will these survive in a cold greenhouse over winter ?
28/10/2013 at 18:43

They should do Beany if you don't over-water them - best kept on the dry side.

20/06/2014 at 11:36
My Verbena bonariensis comes up every year I have taken cuttings and they have taken alright and come through the winter they are very hardy. kind regards Peter
20/06/2014 at 11:42
NO doubt this works but there's a more convenient way to propagate verbena bonariensis: using the stalks one cuts down in autumn.
I prune mine down to just above the lowest flourishing leaves and put sections of the cut-off stalk into a jar of water, where they root happily. Cutting them into six to eight inch lengths - gives one plenty of cuttings; just ensure that they go in the right way up. Keep the jar in a bright, not too warm place.

The same trick works with those leggy non-flowering pelargonium stalks. Even sections with no leaves will root in water.
email image
11 messages