Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

I am so made up to find this & just in time too ! I have one of these in my front garden & Love it. Want it everywhere but cant afford to buy lots so perfect to be able to take my own cuttings. Thank you very much :)
Roots are now showing. When I pot these on , will I need to keep them inside? Have not got a green house. Many thanks for great website.
I'd like to know if teh same applies to V. bonareinsis too, please. And is there any advantage in taking cuttings above potting up self sown seedlings and parent plants?
Can I do this with Verbena bonariensis as well? Do I keep them inside trough winter? I live far north. It would be so helpfull as I sow V. bonariensis in loads every winter.
None of mine came up this year and I was loathed to spend more money on new plants this year however with this advice I will give them another go, thanks for advice

Advertisement

Excellent - Agree with Gweno that this article is timely. I have a fantastic verbena that I want to propogate.

Have loads of verbena bonariensis and being in the South West (Cornwall) find that it self seeds EVERYWHERE! - not that I am complaining!
I too find seedlings of bonariensis everywhere..in sw Cornwall too. Homestead purple and rigida are easy. I take layered roots and cuttings..do that in August.....keep,in greenhouse and plant out in spring. However, I find it does best in good soil even though I mostly grow it in a dry wall. I have a yellow osteospermum next to it and elymus magellanicus behind and they have flowered together all summer, still going strong. Took cutting of osteospermum in august too.
Potted on rooted cuttings , will these survive in a cold greenhouse over winter ?
BobTheGardener

They should do Beany if you don't over-water them - best kept on the dry side.

My Verbena bonariensis comes up every year I have taken cuttings and they have taken alright and come through the winter they are very hardy. kind regards Peter
DianaW
NO doubt this works but there's a more convenient way to propagate verbena bonariensis: using the stalks one cuts down in autumn.
I prune mine down to just above the lowest flourishing leaves and put sections of the cut-off stalk into a jar of water, where they root happily. Cutting them into six to eight inch lengths - gives one plenty of cuttings; just ensure that they go in the right way up. Keep the jar in a bright, not too warm place.

The same trick works with those leggy non-flowering pelargonium stalks. Even sections with no leaves will root in water.