London (change)
Sat 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
9 messages
31/08/2009 at 19:29
i was weeding down my allotment today and i saw this was attacking every moth and butterfly which landed on this globe poppy or thistle are they natural enemys
01/09/2009 at 17:58
wasp was attacking the moths spelling mistake
02/09/2009 at 09:14
Very interested to read about hummingbird hawk moths. Last week we were 'dead heading' our buddleia when amongst the bees and butteflies we spotted a bee like creature with a hovering motion and a long proboscis Could this be one? We live in Devon not far from Plymouth.
07/09/2009 at 17:57
Reply to Michael Wasps are powerful predators of other insects and although they normally attack flies and aphids they are not above taking larger insects like butterflies. They chew off the wings and take just the body back to feed to their brood back at the nest.
11/09/2009 at 17:32
To our intense excitement we saw a Hummingbird hawksmoth feeding from a flowering sage in our garden. It was absolutely beautiful and we feel very privileged to have seen this delightful moth.
25/09/2009 at 15:30
Hi Richard, I'm sure you know the obvious answer to something that puzzles me every year. I love growing naturtiums and watching the green and black caterpillars tucking into the leaves.Then the day always comes when the leaves have gone but so have the caterpillers. Do they crawl into the ground? I never manage to see any pupae around.What happens to them?
29/09/2009 at 07:31
Reply to Meg These are the caterpillars of the large white butterfly. Unlike moth caterpillars, most of which burrow into the soil to make their silken cocoons, butterflies choose a stout grass stem, or some other secret spot above ground and make a chrysalis against it. They will often crawl several metres away to find a safe and sheltered spot. You can sometimes find them at the bottom of fences or under window wills.
02/03/2010 at 03:14
It is very interesting to hear somuch about the hummingbird hawk moths.I had only read about them in books before hearing your personal accounts. thanks
28/11/2011 at 18:39
Fortunately we have not needed to travel to France - here in our corner of West Sussex I have NEVER seen so many bumble bees - I'm not clued up on the different varieties but have enjoyed standing and watching their endeavours. Butterflies which year have been prolific and for the first time in many many years hedgehogs have again taken ownership of our modest garden. The 3,000 acre farmland around us has not been intensively farmed for 10 years+ - Polo seems to be more profitable along with pony trekking, but the landowner has opened up the area creating a wild park like area - cattle, ponies and a small number of pigs roam freely - even the sky lark has returned - even owl boxes have gone up.
email image
9 messages