London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
10 messages
14/09/2011 at 14:15
I just love roses, I have quite a few in my garden. There isn't anything better than the smell of a rose. Those delicate blooms are just a joy to look at. I have a lovely pink one from David Austin Roses and the perfume from that is so strong, you can smell it before you even see it. If my garden was bigger I would have a few more.
15/09/2011 at 07:37
I delight in usually being able tp pick roses from my garden right up to Xmas but my ramblers are over by July so these hybrid musk roses seem to fill a gap with the added bonus of their perfume. But the price! perhaps next year when I've paid for my potager build.
16/09/2011 at 11:58
I have a number of hybrid musk roses in my mixed borders - they associate so well with perennials because of their informal growth habit, which is loose, but not untidy.My favorite by far, is the well named "Moonlight", which has off white flowers, which stand out well against the darker foliage. They shine out against the darkness - just like moonlight.
18/09/2011 at 23:22
I only have one 'inherited' rose in the garden but have been considering some near to a seating area at the bottom of the garden. If these varieties are scented they may just fit in nicely here. My only concern with roses is that they are prickly and having a young child they can be a little hazardous. Are there any scented thornless varieties worth considering?? http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/ Higgy
19/09/2011 at 10:40
Plantlord:Moonlight is marvellous. All musk roses also work well as short climbers if trained against a wall. Higgy50: You choice is very limited. Children tend to realise pretty quickly that thorns hurt. Roses cannot do that much damage: although it would be a bad idea to plant them in your children's play area.
20/09/2011 at 15:20
Buff Beauty is probably my favourite rose, along with Cornelia and Cecile Brunner, and is one I wouldn't want to be without. When I've moved it's always been the first rose I've bought for the new garden, but my last property was being demolished so my Buff Beauty came with me and is now in a large tub waiting for a new, permanent, home. It's a beautiful colour, the scent is gorgeous without being overpowering, it repeats, the insects love it and, if it gets greenfly, the little birds (sparrows particularly) are very quick to clean it up for me. What more could I want? Well, a bit more black spot resistance would be nice, but I'm more than willing to overlook that small problem for the pleasure it gives me.
22/09/2011 at 22:22
I have about 80 roses in a relatively small garden and Penelope is one of my favourites. The trick with Hybrid Musks is to not prune too heavily - they grow and branch not unlike miniature trees - over the last few years I have simply pruned out any branches less than pencil thickness when I prune in January - pruning Penelope too hard will result in a less elegant shape. Higgy: A good thornless rose with good fragrance is David Austin's Mortimer Sackler - I have it wrapped around a 5ft post and it really does look good in June.
09/10/2011 at 12:14
I've grown Cornelia in my last two gardens, latterly as a climber, and she has given her all where a Penelope failed completely. In my new garden I've planted her along with Buff Beauty, and once again she is outshining her sister, with generous flowers and vigorous growth. BB is quite happy, just not as vigorous.
15/10/2011 at 20:43
On last nights programme Monty planted sweet peas, maybe I missed it- but did he tell us about watering once they are planted up & in a greenhouse?
28/11/2011 at 18:44
I am moving to a new house 1 October. The front of the house is south-facing with a small "garden" in front. Right now it contains a few weeds and nothing else. I am looking for ideas on what to plant in front that would grow quickly, nothing too fussy, and not break the bank as with the move there are many other expenses. However, I want to do what I can to pretty up the front garden. I was picturing something climbing perhaps. Would these roses work for what I need?
email image
10 messages