London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 57 messages
20/05/2010 at 21:26
Lost all mine in 2008. 2009 survived. This year they are beginning to yellow and the stems are rotting.
29/07/2010 at 14:36
i have a problem with busy lizzies,the roots are ok but the base of the stem has rotted with white small wire worms and small maggots ,is this due to disease or pest please help
10/08/2010 at 13:33
i went away for a weeks holiday and when i came home all my buzy lizzies have died. they have no leaves or flowers left on on stems and it sounds alot like this downy mildrew disease, they were all in full bloom and healthy before i went away.
11/08/2010 at 17:34
Likewise, Susan. All mine are starting to die off, having been brilliantly healthy up till the last week or so. They just collapse and disintegrate. We had huge problems with this disease back in 2008 (and also suffered from it last year), but I had hoped that a better summer would mean that the plants would survive this year. No such luck it seems. Since there appears to be no cure, I suppose we have to look for a replacement next year, which is a shame because buzy lizzies are so colourful and so varied. I wonder if the nurseries will start producing trays of the Borneo impatiens as that seems to be immune from this disease.
12/08/2010 at 09:02
I have busy lizzies in hanging pouches. All have been doing fine and are in full bloom. However, last night I noticed the the busy lizzies growing out of the top of one of the pouches had wilted quite dramatically. On closer inspection of the plant I saw a downy type layer of what looked like mildew on the undersides of the leaves, on the flowers and buds too...this downy layer of whatever it is, looks very much like frost. Can someone please tell me whether this is downy mildew and if it is what should I do? I've removed/cut away all the affected leaves, stalks, flowers and buds - is this enough though? Or is there more I should be doing? I'm a new gardener and would really appreciate some advice.
28/08/2010 at 18:19
It's happening in South Wales too. Exactly the same, have had a glorious show of busy lizzies in patio tubs. Went away for a week and have come back to just bare stems, looks like they've been struck by lightning! No obvious pests.
17/06/2011 at 15:57
AT LAST ,its not my imagination, i lost all my busy lizzies last year, thought it was something i did wrong, all the ones i have planted have rotted, SO dissappointed as i LOVE busy lizzies as they last so long and give such a colourful display, what i cant understand if its known about WHY are the garden centres selling them ???
27/06/2011 at 23:13
I have the same problem Just outside London. After giving a wonderful display for about 4 weeks the plants started dying. I first thought slugs have eaten them but when I did shake some plants I could see white powder dropping off. I didn't have a clue what it was until I read the comments above. Thank you all. I will have to look for some other plants to cover the beds now at end of June!
01/07/2011 at 14:45
I have suffered the same problem with my Impatiens. Having read the comments on your site I contacted the vendor, a local nursery, and the diagnosis was confirmed. No mention of a refund or replacements was made and when I raised the subject I was informed that I had no right of redress. This, I was informed, was once of the occasional hazards encountered in horticulture and, hopefully, could not happen again (to this species, at least). Is that so? It seems wrong that garden centres and nurseries continue to sell this species if this is a known problem.
05/07/2011 at 12:08
I recently bought some 60 busy lizzie plants from a local nursery shop only to find that upon planting they seemed to deteriorate before my eyes! I initially thought that slugs or some other garden pest was at the root of the problem. I have since had to remove all the busy lizzies including some that had already been established and now am starting again. I have yet to return to the nursery near to Pontypridd and inform them....I don't expect a refund but I hope that they accept that the infected plants came from themselves and will act according to the instructions for eradicating this disease. Will post again when I have more information.
07/07/2011 at 21:17
Same thing happened in the last 2 weeks to my busy lizzies, i'm in Dublin, Ireland. They looked great after planting and then one by one wilting. After reading this, i looked on the underside of the leaves & sure enough they were powdery white. I just pulled them all out, bagged them and threw them out.
15/07/2011 at 13:49
Same thing here in Windsor. Happened last summer too and we thought the slug pellets weren't any good - although this obviously wasn't the case. Only bought this year's plants about six weeks ago. Will try petunias next year, but worried that the soil is infected now! Does anyone know???
23/07/2011 at 08:18
Mine are the same here in Essex. The most expensive large plants were bought at a nursery these are just wilting away. The smaller and cheaper plants bought at two local supermarkets are still thriving. Surely by selling these plants the public who buy them are spreading a disease which at the moment cannot be cured, wouldn't it have been common sense to have stopped selling these in the first place.
24/07/2011 at 20:00
My busy lizzies have all died here in somerset,I also planted some for my Mother in Devon,from a different supplier same problem. Wont be buying them next year!
25/07/2011 at 13:32
I buy between 500 - 600 BL's every year from the same nursery and always have a wonderful show in borders and pots. During the last week, they have almost all died. I'm told it's caused by Downy Mildew. Can I risk buying them again next year, or will there be a cure by then?
25/07/2011 at 16:33
never had this problem before but all my busy lizzies are dead really sad'
26/07/2011 at 14:27
I bought mine from B&Q - it doesn't matter where I planted them - pots or direct into the ground they have all died- I suspect it is from downy mildew. I took them back to b&q to get my money back - all of £15.30 - I bought in a sample to show them what had happened - they expected me to bring in the whole lot (I had bought 6 trays!) After I threatened a letter of complaint and after being cross examined and the plants inspected by the gardening 'expert' - they relunctantly refunded me! I don't think I'll be getting my plants from there again. Why didn't they know about downy mildew?
28/07/2011 at 14:21
Yes I have had the same problems with my Busy Lizzies (Leeds area) for the first time,having planted approx 200 in the garden & in tubs etc. and after a lovely flowering cycle they started to die off. I have now taken them all out. Other plants in the same locations - Petunias, Begonias,Geraniums etc. are all still thriving. Will the soil/compost now be deceased? & is there something we could apply?
29/07/2011 at 20:30
All our bedding Bizzie lizzies have got the downey mildew and have died
30/07/2011 at 15:49
I have just discovered what looks like downy mildew on my BLS which are all dying. I live in Bristol. Bought mine as tiny plugs from Sainsburys which were doing well until planted outside, so will try going back to see if they will consider a refund.
21 to 40 of 57 messages