London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
41 to 57 of 57 messages
04/08/2011 at 15:45
It's happened to me too. I live near Halifax and have over 200 plants raised from plugs bought from a leading supplier (and Gardeners World magazine partner). All were extremely healthy until a couple of weeks ago and now they're all sick/dying regardless of whether in baskets, tubs or borders. The sooner there's a preventative fungicide the better!
05/08/2011 at 12:01
I had my busy lizzies die last year but didn't realise what had killed them so bought and grew them again this year only to have them die again. My hanging baskets seem to have survived but those in my garden and tubs (new soil in the tubs!!)have died again. Dissapointing that there seems to be no cure and that i will have to plant another type of bedding plant next year!!
07/08/2011 at 07:04
I had the same problem with my busy lizzies in Norwich, very dissapointing. The ones in the hanging baskets seem ok but all the others that were in tubs are gone. I have geraniums in the same tubs as the dying busy lizzies and they are thriving.
08/08/2011 at 19:32
Very interested to read these comments- mine in the ground and in baskets just seem to have disppeared- i thought that it was slugs- the ones in the hanging baskets look very poor
09/08/2011 at 14:21
Mine have also died off now my garden looks very bare, they have also started to die in my baskets to i sent for these plants out of a national news paper will i be able to get a refund.
14/08/2011 at 19:22
I have had the same thing all the plants i had have died i bought about 175 plug plants and each one have gone the same way. I have never had this before.
18/08/2011 at 01:38
All my BizLizzies are dying also. They were fine in the greenhouse until planted out but have not thrived in tubs or baskets and are now simply rotting and leaves dropping from the downy mildew infection. I won't be buying them next year
20/08/2011 at 17:05
All my Impatiens have died (same thing happened last year) so I won't be setting any next year! The same thing has happened in two of my friends gardens - we live in Leicestershire.
23/08/2011 at 22:54
Hundreds of Impatiens are planted in the Linton zoo gardens every year and we have always had a wondeful display of colours, this year every plant has wilted away to nothing,I thought it was something we had done wrong.I guess we will have to plant something different next season as this is a very expensive problem to risk!
25/08/2011 at 16:00
Exactly the same thing has just happened to my Impatiens here in Bedford. They looked healthy one minute and within a couple of days all the leaves and flower had died, leaving healthy thick looking stalks. No evidence of any pests. This has happened in pots and beds. Very upsetting, and it has ruined the look of my beautiful garden. Can someone offer advice?
06/09/2011 at 16:14
This disease has been widespread in 2011, and my normal bedding busy Lizzies have been infected and died. However, the larger flowers New Guinea Impatiens do not get this disease, and I don't think the varieties called SunPatiens get downy mildew either. Otherwise, looking ahead to 2012 I'd recommend people grow something different. The Busy Lizzy market is said to be valued at around £25million, so the loss of this market could have a big impact. However, most gardeners and parks departments will grow an alternative, so perhaps this won't have too much impact on commercial growers.
26/09/2011 at 09:55
I think number 15 has VINE WEAVEL infestation!
26/09/2011 at 10:01
I have a few "bussies" left over in the green house, they are thriving. All the ones I planted out have died! It is time to do something about the money grabbing attitude which is prompting disasters such as we are now experiencing!!
26/09/2011 at 10:13
I have noticed retail outlets that are not really horticultural selling bedding plants that are substandard due to ignorance, neglect and incompetence. Poor water starved plants and I have seen slugs and snails in the trays. I have bought what appeared to be good healthy plants only to find clusters of slug or snail eggs in amongst the roots!!! I say only buy from gardening outlets!
07/11/2011 at 15:27
This indeed is a massive problem. For the last few years our impatiens have had to treated a chemical cocktail of fungacides, and the glasshouses that they are grown in strictly steralised, actions costing a small fortune. This has ensured that the plants leave our establishment clean and with a certain amount of resistance to downy mildew. The problems start once they have been planted out in peoples gardens. Unfortunately mildew's in general can be spread by contact or by drift (in the air). Their growth is also excelerated by damp, and mild weather. We are in contact with various bodies who recently declared that they may have found the source of the problem. It seems that the weakest cultivars of impatiens, which are the DOUBLES, may be where it has all started. As a result several commercial supply growers are not releasing doubles into the market this year in an attempt to halt this blasted disease. May I try and ensure the public that all reputable nurseries and garden centres have done everything in their power to provide clean plants. However it only takes one person down your road to buy some dodgy plants from 'who know's where' and the fungus will spread. Believe me when I say that growers are just as dissapointed about this problem as our customers. Busy lizzies were one of our best sellers in the summer season. Its demand has tumbled and will continue to until confidence returns or the disease is wiped out. Lets all hope that next years crops stay clean for those of us who have enough patience to try again.
28/11/2011 at 18:37
I also have lost all my Busy Lizzies. At first they appeared to be normal plants then all the leaves and flowers were stripped leaving thick healthy looking bare stalks. No sign of slugs or snails. When I dug them up the roots were really well established. This happened in both open ground and in pots. The only plants that seem to have survived are the odd ones I put into my hanging baskets. Reading the symptoms of downy mildew I do not think that was the cause. Are there any other suggestions?
03/07/2012 at 13:52

I live in France and lost all mine in late summer. I had some very pretty double ones which were the first to go. Then we went to the Amalfi coast in Italy in September and I saw the same problem there.

email image
41 to 57 of 57 messages