London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
14 messages
26/11/2008 at 16:42
How do I ensure that my cuttings from roses will live to grow in these cold temperatures. Do I keep them in grit, sand, compost and lime? in the garden or in a suitable pot?
27/11/2008 at 17:30
Cant share the enthusiasm for woodlice, but I think of the Sal-bug with affection. These are a creature we knew as children and watched them roll up and unroll in our hands. Roses are hardy so outside in a v shaped trench filled with sand. Push cuttings well in, at least a third and back fill the soil and 'heel' them all well in.
27/11/2008 at 18:32
I have a citrus Clementine grown on dwarf rootstock, it is about 3ft high and has lots of little oranges on it, they are about the size of a golfball, it has been outside for until the early frosts of last week when I brought it indoors, I have noticed that a number of the fruits are starting to split their skins from the blossom end, has anybody any ideas what is causing this and how can I prevent it - thanks.
28/11/2008 at 00:26
What a lovely photo - the pullover looks quite diaphanous. My grandmother used to call them cheeselogs, but I never discovered why.
28/11/2008 at 13:17
I cannot find much pleasure in woodlice themselves but the rather sadly uncommon common brown lizard eats them and having discovered the lizards in my garden and admired thier chequer board beauty the woodlouse is catered for with woodpiles and damp corners who knows maybe one day i will have a moment of revelation and appreciate it in its own right
29/11/2008 at 03:57
We live in an old wattle and daub cottage and always have woodlice in the bath during the spring and summer months. They have just gone off for their winter break!
01/12/2008 at 14:32
Can I ask what wood lice do ? Sorry for the ignorance. Jean
01/12/2008 at 21:12
Well, I think they're cute. Do they make a noise like an old-fashioned watch being wound? There's somethink in my house that does and I'd love to know what. Jean, I think they eat debris like rotten wood and dead plant tissue. Unsung heroes!
04/12/2008 at 17:53
Thank you Jude , I did not think they were of any use ,possibly did harm ,my garden is full of them. Jean
29/12/2008 at 19:17
At my last house, if you went outside at night the path up to the back gate was just covered in them ,so covered some times, you could'nt see the path for them my husband always calls them crunchy backs. When I was a child we new them as god all mightys don't ask why but I still call them this now anyway I think they're a great little insect and wellcome any time at our place.
22/11/2011 at 18:26
what are the effects of light on woodlice location of where they live?
28/11/2011 at 18:37
Thats one for the lizard then, shudders. Cannot stand woodlouse, loathed them for years. Yes I know they do a great job. Since helping Mum on the allotment I have unearthed these beasties. They make me laugh though. They have certain areas where they nurse their children and I call these woodlouse nurseries. I often watch a solitary woodlouse making the long journey up the wall or across the floor. Glad the lizard likes them ;)
22/07/2014 at 20:45
I just Googled that my garden is overrun with woodlice this year, wondering if this was going to be a problem, so it was v comforting to find this article.
I too think they are rather cute, I love the way they roll up and nowadays I love the way they scatter like mad when I pick up a flower pot or like when I returned to a plant I was half way thorugh potting out, I had left in a too shallow hole I dug, meaning to return and deepen it. When I picked up the plant the earth started to move, lots of tiny little wood lice scatter to the four corners of the worlds. So I can relax now and enjoy the fact that this is obviously a fantastic year for them and hopefully they will continure to flourish in my garden chomping their way through my rather rough soil :-)
22/07/2014 at 20:55

Sukia.......  Woodlice are goodies in the garden

email image
14 messages