London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
20 messages
22/03/2010 at 19:29
i would be well cross if my shed got broken into ,its only got the bare essentails in hoe,spade,fork,rake and my rotavator but i would miss them if they got took like losing a finger and being on a tight budget at the moment it would take a few weeks to replace,what really annots me at the moment is the kids climbing the fence at the allotment not to nick stuff just vandalise sheds and tread and pull up fruit and veg
23/03/2010 at 07:02
I have a shed made from breize blocks. A couple of years ago some local youths decided they wanted my housemates bike and tried to lever off the door with a scaffold pole. The door did not yield but the wall did - it fell off! Security measures since then have revolved around better perimeter fencing, a rebuilt shed which has now been rendered as well. The range of the outside light which I thouught would keep things safe turned out to be not reaching the shed area. You also need to take into account your neighbours security as these guys came in through their garden. The major point was not to keep anything highly desirable to others in your shed - had I known how much my friend's bike was worth I would not have been happy for her to keep it there. The rebuilt shed now has better lighting around it but at the end of the day if they want something in there they will get it!
23/03/2010 at 09:55
Thieves one "did" all the outbuildings in our road and as my strimmer was in the back of the locked garage they took out the window (from next door's garden), smashed it in the process, and left it and dangerous shards of glass in my neighbour's garden. Luckily my insurance company agreed not to replace the window but to brick it up. My strimmer was not worthy of a place on the getaway van and was found by another neighbour in his hedgerow. All that damage for nothing. I try to keep my favourite secateurs etc in the kitchen, not in the back of the garage anymore.
23/03/2010 at 15:10
My shed has also been broken into, althought once I purchased some shed security i've had no issues or problems since. They're absolutely brilliant, I only paid £12.99 off this brilliant gardening website http://www.poplartreegardencentre.co.uk/garden-security/gardman/gardman-shed-alarm-security-system/ and comes with a two year guarantee. It's definately worth buying.
23/03/2010 at 16:39
Further to Caroline's comment, there is a wide range of shed alarms/security systems on the market. Search results at Google: http://bit.ly/bVF3cP
24/03/2010 at 17:05
Building a compost heap for our new allotment. The web page says use 4 pallets. Where on earth do we get the pallets from?
25/03/2010 at 09:22
To my mind, the most pressing reason for securing a shed is that the opportunist thief may take a spade or pickaxe from the shed and use it to break into the house.
25/03/2010 at 09:26
There is always work being done on houses in our street. Whenever I want a pallet and see one stacked next to a skip outside a nearby house, I ask the neighbour or the builder who is doing the work if I can have a pallet or two. No-one has ever yet refused and making contact with neighbours is rarely time wasted.
24/04/2010 at 18:34
I'm running a school garden - I want to make a sculpture from tiers of tree slices that I have and want to hollow out parts of the tier to add and grow plants - so that we have cascade of plants from the slices. The children are young - what's the best way to do this?
03/08/2010 at 15:39
The best thing I ever did was buy a metal shed from a comapny called Asgard
03/08/2010 at 15:40
The best thing I ever did was buy a secure metal shed from a company called Asgard. Huge and tough.. Well worth th emoney imo
08/03/2011 at 10:08
Just had my shed broken into - lost petrol mower, petrol hedge trimmer, petrol strimmer and petrol leaf blower. Now looking into extra security.
14/03/2011 at 14:15
Sorry to hear your news AM. I hope others will review their shed security right away, and take measures to secure their valuable tools and equipment.
28/11/2011 at 18:40
fence panels have to be secure too.most of mine were but not all of them.a couple of year ago I had a 50cc scooter taken from my secure[or so I thought]back garden.I had removed a wisteria that refused to flower. After seven year of trying all the tips to get it to flower I relised it must be a dud from seed so dug it out to replace it.the wisteria was holding the panel secure once gone the thieves lifted the six foot panel and lifted the scooter over a raised bed and the gravel board to get it away.I now have every panel pegged in tight and a thorny climbing rose in place of the wisteria.
27/04/2012 at 08:48
For many years I was a PC and went to countless shed 'breaks'. Most people are/were utterly clueless when it came to shed security either leaving doors ajar, fitting padlock barely worthy of the name or failing to fit coach bolts to both hasp & staple or the door hinges. Many's the time I've found the hinges unscrewed and the door opened that way with the hapless owner faced with either an insurance claim or replacing stolen garden tools. I've taken a lot of time and trouble collecting my tools over the years (two motor mowers, shredder, strimmer, various lovely stainless steel tools and so on) that I'd really kick myself if anything went. Even I made a big mistake once. I was working at a local gym as a handman and was finally given a garden shed to store my tools. It was a flimsy modern effort with walls made from matchbox wood - a huff and a puff and I'll blow your shed down - and although I'd fitted steel mesh over the one window, I'd yet to fit coach bolts on the hinges. Next morning the door was ajar, the hinges had been unscrewed, and a large hole in the end wall was also made. £200 worth of tools went.
27/09/2013 at 10:50

Nice post, I have started my own shed site hoping to feature some sheds on my site. If your interested visit my site reviewashed. That goes for anyone else who would not mine featuring there shed on my site.

27/09/2013 at 12:48

Eh? This is a gardening forum john. Sheds play a large part in gardens- but the forum's not for advertising and you'll be reported if you do.

27/09/2013 at 13:13

sheds.  

10/10/2013 at 16:37

50 sheds of grey !    I have had my lotty 'done' twice now, this year, but not lost too much to the twats swag bag. The friendly 'constabule' said that it is a regular rascal/person doing this , but they have no proof, ( ~LOL !!!!!!! ) nudge nudge, wink wink ! 

Anyway, 'yer man' told us that glass panes are seldom smashed in these days, as shards of glass can fly some 10 metres or more, and can both cut the offender, or get caught in their clothes and detected by forensic analyisi, he says in serious tone. I agree that coach bolts should be used on every sensible opportunity. A discreet connection to the national grid via your local energy supplier might be useful too. A mere 24000 volts coursing through the system often deterrs !

23/01/2014 at 12:59
This article seems to have some good solutions on what we can do to secure our sheds: http://www.cranegardenbuildings.co.uk/articles/stop-that-thief-garden-security
email image
20 messages