Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Talkback

Talkback: Ivy in the garden

I agree about ivy. I have let a lot grow in my garden however I am cutting back on it - hope it isn't too late! I wrote a blog post last y...

Jump to latest post

1 to 17 of 17 replies

I agree about ivy. I have let a lot grow in my garden however I am cutting back on it - hope it isn't too late!

Thanks - Jane

hogweed

Ivy - the first year it sleeps, the second year it creeps, the third year it leaps! So true!

Its A great plant to have in the right place, it has so many benefits and really attractive to look at all year round, wildlife love it too!
Mooresthemerrier
I have lots of ivy growing over our fence from the neighbour. It covers our fence next to our veg patch. Whats the best way to keep control of the ivy to ensure it doesnt take over? There seem to be lots of flies and insects buzzing around it at the moment so I also dont want to disturb them.

Advertisement

Welshonion
Take a saw, secateurs and anything else you need to cut great chunks out of it, to get it to a manageable size. It will soon fill up again.

It is valuable to wildlife, but it is a bad neighbour. It will pull down fences and root everywhere it touches the ground.
Woodgreen wonderboy

I have ivy growing at ground level across some beds. i leave it under some shrubs where I want a wild garden effect, and it suppresses the weeds too. Elsewhere it's for the chop.

Not sure if it rots down in the compost heap though. Does anyone have experience?

My ivy holds the wall together! We prune it quite hard at the end of August when we are certain the birds have left. It is the local tower block for blue tits! I love the flower heads at Christmas and the leaves give year round foliage for indoor flowers 

Busy-Lizzie

I'm staring to hate it almost as much as Virginia Creeper! Some took root in the compost heap. I never planted any, but I live in a forest that is covered in it, it is trying to spread across my garden.

Yes, ivy constantly tries to take over my garden , it's a continuing chore to keep it down. What is worse is that both my lovely neighbours are not bothered by the creeping pest, and so it comes back up and under the fences on all three sides. Any ideas on keeping it abay on a permanent basis without killing my plants .
Yviestevie

I love ivy.  I keep it cut back and just pull up any errant tendrils that take root.  The birds love it, the bees adore it especially at the end of the year when there isn't much nectar about.  I don't let it climb the brickwork and so far it hasn't bought any fences down in fact it supports them and it gives a lovely backdrop to the summer flowers.  It's an old house and the ivy has been there a very long time.

Yes, I think I need to get it back to a confined area , I am thinking I will let it climb an old tree stump I have, as when it climbed and killed my lilac at least the wrens nested in it. I agree it is great for wild life, so I will keep a bit of it. 

daydaisy

I hard pruned my ivy one autumn thinking the blackbirds had finished with it and to my utter horror several fledglings fell out of a nest still in use. I tried to put them back but they didn't want to go back.I was horrified as you can imagine. Just a cautionary tale.

Thank you daydaisy , our dead lilac come ivy tree was pulled down in february to avoid anything nesting in it. It is a shame as the blackbirds loved it as well, but along with that there was the foxes that would sit on the fence and pinch the chicks as so as they tried to fledge. Nature is beautiful but cruel 

daydaisy

That tale is appalling Gillian. Not much we can do about some things but perhaps you did the blackbirds a good turn in making them look for a safer site to build their home in.

Advertisement

Wow, yes it is a persistent little sod , and that is my experience so far. New fences going up this spring and a vigulent watch out for any regrowth . Then when I get to 75 yrs old I will have to move to a a patio garden 

pansyface

I can tell you GA, when you get to 75 the ivy will be the least of your problems