London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
19/08/2009 at 20:32
How many 'biocontrol' successes have there been compared with any failures/disasters?
20/08/2009 at 16:49
My brothers garden is full of the stuff and he has tried everything to get rid of it!!! He has now got some weedkiller that you put down the hollow stem to see if that will kill it off, nothing will grown near it.
20/08/2009 at 18:17
We have a small patch of Fallopia and I have found that regularly pulling it up is gradually weakening it and I predict that eventually I will win.
20/08/2009 at 19:12
Have dug every bit of this beautiful weed up.I THINK , Have tried pouring weedkiller down the hollow stem which has helped but would like to know how long before it rears its head again. I think the only possible solution is to dig all the earth up and replace with fresh topsoil. Not really a job for a weakling . Someone find me a MAN
20/08/2009 at 20:29
I don't think this article makes it clear that the control of Japanese Knotweed must be undertaken in consultation with the Environment Agency, as the waste itself is classified due to the plant's ability to regenerate from the smallest fragments. It is really important that it is controlled in the proper manner, as it is people ripping it out with the best intentions who are causing it to spread. (I don't work for the EA by the way, but I am an environmental scientist who has had to do some research into the issues around the plant). See http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/wildlife/31364.aspx for more info.
20/08/2009 at 20:47
Aaargh This plant has caused me long hours of research and much work. On the bright side you can actually eat the young shoots: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Knotweed.html I found a blog that encouraged me to persevere just when I thought I was going to havw to give up http://gardeningbloggers.com/theruralgardener/2009/05/
20/08/2009 at 20:59
Yes, as Amy says, this was my main problem. I asked a question at the above blog site and it was her advice that led me to get in touch with the local countryside officer at our council. Unfortunately, the comments seem to have gone from the older blogs now.
20/08/2009 at 21:41
I think who ever introduced the japanese knotweed should be made to spend their days digging it up and as for importing the japanese insect to help control it I think they've done enough damage. look at the Lady bird problem,being eaten by imported bugs and our squirrels dying from desease imported by none british sqirrels.
21/08/2009 at 00:11
There is a sure fire way to eradicate Fallopia that does not fragment any tissue capable of regenerating: remove by picking all but the top leaf of each stem as soon as the new season growth is producing leaves. The plant stemd grow taller and taller but cannot photosynthesise. Over a period of years the stand will grow weaker and thinner and native plants can grow between the clumps because there is no foliage cover to shade them. Although this method is no quicker it involves only the samr effort as frequent digging, no herbicide use and no problem with composting the leaves.
21/08/2009 at 11:17
Have saved all the pieces that i could find and intend on burning same when they have dried out.As i realise that like bindweed it reproduces from every little bit. In future I will follow smflyman's advice and pick the leaves off.
21/08/2009 at 16:21
Many years ago (about 20),I admired a beautiful, prolifically growing plant with handsome leaves, in a friend's garden. It did a great job of screening out the neighbours, so she gave me some pieces for my own garden. Hoever, I was devastated when it all died off as I am very green fingered. Little did I know then ( and neither did she), that it was Japanese Knotweed! Perhaps I saved my garden from a terrible fate, but can't believe that this now pernicious, but still, in my opinion, majestic plant, succumbed to my best attempts to establish it, and withered away. So what did I do wrong ( or right)? Perhaps if I could remember I could bottle it up and become a millionaire overnight. Now for my sins I have Mare's Tail...HELP!!
23/08/2009 at 08:25
I have been told by my neighbour that rhubarb cannot be picked after July. I have some lovely thick stems in my garden but I am now reluctant to pick it. Is what my neighbour says true or just an old wives tale? If it is true, then when can I eat my rhubarb? Seems such a waste when I could be eating a rhubarb crumble!
23/08/2009 at 10:49
could someone do a article on hedgehogs....i'm trying to get them to stay in my garden.is it true that if i do have a hedgehog in my garden and i make a house for it will it stay.there are around our area,and i do think its possible to get them in my garden as my back garden backs onto woods.or do you think i could resue one from the rspca.. could someone give me some advice or telephone numbers for a resue place,i live in hayes middx.
23/08/2009 at 11:53
i heard once that goats would eat the green bits of japenese knotweed, thus keeping it under control. also would this plant (or similar) grow in desert areas? if so would this not aid global warming by greening desert area? if the goat story is true we could green the desert, import goats, and improve the lives of people living in the area.
23/08/2009 at 12:15
My son tried to buy a cottage, but was unable to get a mortgage due to Japanese knotwead in the garden.
24/08/2009 at 07:51
I had a large area of Japanese Knotweed in my French garden. The area has been developed with help from my son into 2 ponds with lawned area, terrace and 2 rockeries. still the dreaded weed reappears. When we developed the area we had a Minipel digging the site. You'd have thought that would have got rid of most of the roots!!In France as I understand it you are heavily fined if you don't burn it when removed. I shall try the tip of removing leaves otherwise it's the weekly ritual of keep on removing same.
25/08/2009 at 13:05
Japanese Knotweed is edible and perhaps with the current climate, and soaring food prices people should harvest the obviously bountiful crop. I have attached a link to a website that makes some suggestions., so if you cant beat it, eat it
25/08/2009 at 13:06
Sorry website link is http://www.selfsufficientish.com/index.php/wild-foods/252-japanese-knotweed-as-a-food
25/08/2009 at 13:49
Re using Rhubarb after July, I have just (23rd August) picked a huge bunch and made Rhubarb and Ginger Preserve, delicious! Japanese Knotweed is loved by bees, good for the bees bad for us gardeners, but constantly cutting it back does seem to help,eventually it gets thinner and smaller and can be pulled up.
28/08/2009 at 12:22
The best way is to net the plants from planting time onwards with suitable black plastic net (try Harrods, www.harrodhorticultural.com for an easy source). The net has a mesh size of about 7mm and prevents the white butterflies from getting to the leaves and laying their eggs.
1 to 20 of 27 messages