Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: John Cushnie remembered

What can I say? Such a radio friend. His realistic approach to gardening was much appreciated by us who struggle to garden almost 1,000ft. up here in Snowdonia.We felt an affinity with his N. Ireland problems and solutions far more than those of what we sometimes refer to as 'soft southern gardeners'No offence meant, of course! We shall certainly miss him and our thoughts are with those close to him.

• Such a loss, he was always a breath of fresh air and swept pomposity away. A brilliant emerald man who will be missed greatly by me. Great sympathy go to his family and friends.I intend to plant a tree for him.
  • I have never done any gardening but listened to this programme only to hear this man's voice and delivery.
    He will be missed.
  • His knowledge was immense. He always had a great answer to the most challenging of problems. We will miss his warm and friendly approach and his lovely Irish lilt.
  • John Cushnie is sorely missed by us all. His wonderful wit, charm and warmth just made Sunday afternoons. I loved those little responses to serious questions such as, "Why would you want to encourage it? Chuck it away!"
  • I have a Choisya which has been growing very well over the years, but have now noticed that the top leaves have gone brown and wilting. There appears to be good growth lower down the plant. Can anybody offer advice on what if anything may be ailing this shrub please. I have a potato vine growing next to it has this had any effect on the health of the choisya? help please
  • John was a real inspiration, and I'll miss his presence on Gardeners' Question Time. HIs charming Irish accent provided great warmth to his contributions, which themselves were full of humor. After all, you can't take problems too seriously, can you. John, we'll miss you!