London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
11 messages
05/10/2007 at 15:56
I sowed some perrenial seeds, delphiniums, foxgloves and hollyhocks. They have come up ok and are still small, sitting in individual pots on a shelf on my frost free balcony...(I live in london). When should I plant them out? thanks
08/10/2007 at 12:11
I have been making compost successfully for a number of years , but this year when turning over one of my heaps, I have been disgusted to find dozens of large beige slugs! Are they doing the business of breaking down the compost or are they inhibiting the work of the worms? Should I be trying to get rid of them?
08/10/2007 at 21:07
If I put a 4" layer over my dahlias with chipped bark, and the bed is up agaisnt house wall and in full sun, please could you tell me if you think they will survive the winter. thank you
09/10/2007 at 09:13
I keep my brassicas covered as long as possible with enviromesh. When the cabbages have reached a good size or they get to big I uncover them. This year they have been caterpillar free but I'm not entirely sure it's just due to covers as there were pleanty of cabbage whites about & some inside the mesh, so predators must have helped. My favorite cabbage is January King but it's years since I got them to last stand till January & this year they have been ready for a month already & some have split. Timing is critical but I think the mesh will have brought them forward too.
09/10/2007 at 18:37
Joyce, the slugs being in your compost heap mean they are not on your crops. They are fine in your heap and are helping with the decomposition. They won't worry your worms.
10/10/2007 at 17:49
anybody know about japanese onions?
29/10/2007 at 20:40
Annie - I used to lift all my dahlias but last year decided to cover them with a mulch of manure and this year they have produced a wonderful show. I will leave them in the ground this year too.
08/08/2008 at 11:08
I've had great success in my first year of growing veg, particularly with my Summer Round and Savoy Cabbages - that having been said this last week or so 3 of my cabbages split open to over an inch wide, inch or more deep and up to half the way around. I haven't suffered with Cabbage White Fly (I've been boiling up the Rhubarb leaves, letting cool and watering the Cabbages and Sproups with the cold soup). I'd be very grateful for some advice on why my Cabbages are splitting please. Many thanks. Elsza
15/09/2009 at 19:54
hi ,i know this must sound stupid but is there any way to store cabbages apart from the freezer, i would be grateful for any advice, thank you.
22/03/2011 at 19:28
Does any one know why the bark on my large bay tree has split? It has been in the ground for about 20 years ..is it due to the severe winter or is it lacking something ? Any suggestions please
28/11/2011 at 18:29
I sowed some perrenial seeds, delphiniums, foxgloves and hollyhocks. They have come up ok and are still small, sitting in individual pots on a shelf on my frost free balcony...(I live in london). When should I plant them out? thanks
email image
11 messages