London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
41 to 50 of 50 messages
31/07/2009 at 07:25
I live in Worcestershire, and have only seen a couple of ladybirds all summer. Same goes for their larvae. I garden organically on both my allotment and garden, and usually see many, but their numbers have dramatically declined over the past 2years. Maybe the high rainfall has had something to do with it? Unfortunately, all species of aphid appear to be thriving in these conditions. Re' demands for pictures; I always have my much used and loved Collins Guide to Insects handy-saves time and electricity when needing to ID an insect.Bring back books I say!!
02/08/2009 at 09:36
I already know what the ladybirds look like (all types) and also the pupae, but what should we do if we see a Harlequin? I have read elsewhere that these should not be destroyed, so what, then?
02/08/2009 at 18:02
Please, please can someone tell me where all the ladybirds (British ones) have come from in Norfolk? We have just spent a week up there and the beaches in North Norfolk were covered with them - how is that?
03/08/2009 at 22:20
Aaah yes, the lovely book by Michael Chinnery, I have a well thumbed copy too ! As for more info on Harlequin Ladybirds and what they do and don't do, if you log on to my website, I posted a bit about them in February this year so go to www.pippagreenwood.com and then scroll down to the bottom, then click on 'bugs&slugs' and you'll see it with further rfeernces too !
04/08/2009 at 14:32
My 5 year old son was so excited this morning as we counted 114 ladybirds on our walk home in Ramsgate. He thought it was so fantastic that he wanted to share it with as many people as possible!! bless him!
05/08/2009 at 09:04
I have just returned from a weekend camping on a Norfolk beach and, as GexyLadysays, it was incredible - thousands and thousands of ladybirds on the beach and in the dunes... can anyone tell me why?
05/08/2009 at 09:20
Found the answer! http://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/content/northnorfolknews/news/story.aspx?brand=NNNOnline&category=news&tBrand=NNNOnline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED03%20Aug%202009%2015%3A55%3A02%3A420
20/08/2009 at 17:16
We have grown sweetcorn for the last two years from seed, which was given to us by some friends in Iowa, USA, who grow fantastic sweetcorn. The first year we had cobs, but they were small and patchy, the friends in Iowa thought this maybe due to it not being fresh seed, so after returning from a visit to them this year we brought back some fresh seed, but exactly the same thing has happened, the cobs are small and the corn itself has not formed properly, we have cooked and tasted them and what there is are lovely, but not enough of them. If anyone could advise us if because the seed comes from America, it is no good in our soil in the U.K. or if not the seed then any tips as to why our corn cobs do not form properly, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks Georgesue
21/08/2009 at 10:28
I find it amazing that so many people who can obviously manage to locate and read a web-page/blog are then utterly incapable of performing a simple google search. Petty rants also look far sillier when you don't check your spelling first.
28/11/2011 at 18:39
This is my first year in a new garden. It was a little over grown when we moved in and as a result we have seen plenty of wildlife. Including the larvae of the 2 spot ladybird. The garden is a lot tidier now, but we are still leaving some corners of the garden for insects and other wildlife to find a home
email image
41 to 50 of 50 messages