London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 50 messages
23/07/2009 at 17:01
It would be really helpful if you could show a picture of the ladybird larvae, as I also may have squashed them.
23/07/2009 at 17:06
I haven't seen a single ladybird in my garden this year and neither, having asked on TMF wildlife and gardening threads, have most other people in all parts of the country.
23/07/2009 at 17:19
Ok Pippa what does it look like please?
23/07/2009 at 17:24
Exactly! I don't know what they look like either. Pictures please!
23/07/2009 at 17:29
Just go to Google images ladybird larvae to see them, lots of different colours
23/07/2009 at 17:31
Would be helpful to show a photo
23/07/2009 at 17:40
Yes we do know what ladybirds look like , so why show one, instead you should show us what the puppa look like and then we would not be distroying them in ingnerance. Please show us our friendly bugs more often. Mrs M H Badkin
23/07/2009 at 17:48
Although your blog maybe interesting Pippa what use is it if we havent any idea what Ladybird pupae look like, very disappointed! hope yo send a picture asp.
23/07/2009 at 18:14
Just put ladybird larvae into your search box and you'll get lots of hits. I've had a lot this year.
23/07/2009 at 18:47
Are the harlequin larvae not more spikey looking than standard ladybird larvae. I have been carefully transporting hundreds of larvae off the paths of our garden this summer. Link to pic of larvae http://www.entomology.umn.edu/ladybird/larvae/Larvalkey1.html
23/07/2009 at 19:38
I noticed a large number of larvae this year - correctly identified by my 6 year old who has been doing life cycles at school! I am pleased to say that they seem to have turned into the native 7 spot ladybird and although I do have some of the harlequin in my Suffolk garden, these seem less than previous years and are definately outnumbered by the 7 spot.
23/07/2009 at 19:51
I absolutely agree with all the above comments - first thing I looked for was a pic of the larvae. I have seen them in the past at my previous house and watched them hatching out when I had no idea what they were. It was absolutely fascinating to see the pale ladybirds come out and see them darkening and the spots appearing in the sun. Worth a video I would have thought. The larvae looked very peculiar like little tiny crinkly wizened pipes fastened to my brick wall in the sunshine. I very nearly brushed them off with my broom but something made me wait and watch. Im so glad I did. Have seen very few ladybirds this year native or harlequin. Strangely not so many greenfly or whitefly either tho plenty of blackfly on the elderflowers in next door's garden and on my tall thistles.
23/07/2009 at 20:45
Well, I got so fed up of waiting for a photograph on this page, that I googlesd it. Now I've seen that, thankfully I know that i've not squashed any in my garden.
23/07/2009 at 20:55
I have never seen as many aphids in my garden as I have this year. I like to garden organically but the temptation to use chemical to exterminate these viracious pests has been overwhelming at times. Until just last week I have not seen a ladybird in the garden...having 'googled' what I thought was a harlequin ladybird I squished it....there are so many variants I may have squished one of the good guys iby mistake. If anyone has any spare good guys, please send them my way.
23/07/2009 at 21:30
Pippa's warning about ladybird pupae is about 2 months too late. I saw masses of them on black currant bushes infested with aphids back in mid May
23/07/2009 at 23:17
If the lavea are in danger why are there no photos of them so we can protect them
24/07/2009 at 06:00
Why is everyone being so rude and demanding?! Thank you for an informative blog, Pippa.
24/07/2009 at 06:09
I live in Seamer, near Scarborough in North Yorkshire, and I have not seen a single ladybird so far this year.My friend has had a greenfly problem in his greenhouse and we went on a dedicated ladybird hunt to deal with the problem. Not one ladybird, and this in a garden of over one acre!! Is this only in this area or is there a general decline. it is very worrying that this beneficial insect seems to have dissapeared completely around here.
24/07/2009 at 07:14
Pippa,it's not much use that you have written about the ladybird larvae,have retained my interest by your excellent writing but then you do the sin of 'not showing us a photograph of the subject matter..
24/07/2009 at 08:51
Like every one else I know what a ladybird looks like but have no idea what it's pupa looks like. pretty silly to write about protecting them without a picture!
1 to 20 of 50 messages