London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
12 messages
23/04/2008 at 09:10
Leaving aside whether or not ladybirds are good or bad, there are nearly 30 different species in the UK. A good visual guide can be found here There is an 'orange' ladybird, Halyzia sedecimguttata, and several other pale pinky ones.

Also, common 7-spot and 2-spot ladybirds are pale straw yellow or orange when they emerge from the pupa. It takes hours for the deep red colour to appear and they get darker for several days.

24/04/2008 at 21:42
Two years ago I gave up the struggle against garden pests and stopped using pesticides. I have noticed an increase in ladybirds and a decrease in garden pests. At first the pests seamed to be winning but now I don't lose as many plants or see as many pests. The garden has found its own balance and I am now enjoying a more relaxed form of gardening. If I find Greenfly on my Roses I know in 2 days they will be gone the Ladybirds will have done their work. The birds are keeping the slugs down. "Magic ain't it".
25/04/2008 at 15:32
Useful observations, Margaret. Natural pest control is all about achieving a balance. Ladybirds and other predators (lacewings, hoverflies, etc) need food before they can eat and breed. In this case their food is your pests. Be patient and a natural balance can be achieved, as you have clearly demonstrated. I'd be the first to admit that this doesn't usually lead to 100 per cent pest eradication, but should reduce the problem significantly. Also, not every pest in your garden has a natural predator!
30/04/2008 at 07:39
Is the collective noun for ladybirds a SPOT ?
30/04/2008 at 16:39
I have Bug Boxes everywhere full of emerging Ladybirds and Lacewings - brilliant, a log pile left over winter has also proved to be a success. At the end of last year on one particular sunny afternoon, the back of the house was covered in Black Bugs with Red Spots, and Red Bugs with lots of black spots - I took some to the John Innes Center her in Norwich - they said they were a foreign breed who kill off our native ones. They are also nasty tasting so the birds leave them alone. My pond is currently moving with tadpoles - the Magpie is having a feast... Any suggestions how I can reduce the amount of Starlings which wipe out my bird feeders and bully the Finches. Sometimes just feel there is no point putting out good food to attract the finches - I have tried everything - can't help at being amazed at their intelligence and innovation. Got Squirrels, a Hawk, Woodpeckers along with all the normal Garden Birds - I feel very lucky.
17/05/2008 at 13:49
The collective noun for ladybirds, which I've just found out today from Carol Klein's article in The Guardin is a loveliness. Isn't that fantastic? I've checked it online and it's correct too. How lovely!
29/05/2008 at 12:55
hi, can anybody tell me how to get ladybirds into my garden, I don't use pesticides and greenfly have ate my two lupins. How do i get the ladybirds in?
29/05/2008 at 15:09
I was recently asked by some schoolchildren what you call a group of ladybirds (one had found a clump of them against the outside of her bedroom window) and I told them it was a 'punctuation'. I then had to back this up with a lecture on how different ladybirds have different numbers of spots, and that some have commas, colons, semi-colons and exclamation marks!
24/09/2008 at 21:47
besides a lack of butterflies there is also a lack of ladybirds.Why I wonder.They used to smother my acquilegia and then go for the roses.Again, I wonder if its the weather.
25/03/2011 at 11:52
i have so many ladybirds in my garden and a few in the house what is this all about ?
27/03/2011 at 08:37
Having property with a huge garden make you want to invest it in many things like swimming pool or plant flowers Rental Property Management
28/11/2011 at 18:31
Last year I saw lots of ladybirds but they were very pale orange and I wasn't sure if they were good or bad. Yesterday I saw one of the same kind. What do you think?
email image
12 messages