London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
9 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I hope you can help me? I have a weeping Willow tree in our garden. Our weeping willow has developed some sort of problem which I have to say I have no idea what it is. Some of the leafs on the willow are turning yellow and are presenting some brown spots. There are also some brown marks to the the stems to the leaves. Quite alot of leaves have fallen from the tree. We are also getting some dead wood in the tree right thing but I have removed the branch which had the fungus on it
01/06/2012 at 16:06
Is there a treatment for leaf miner fly? If so, what is it?
01/06/2012 at 17:54

A systemic insecticide will deal with it, but you really have to spray before they appear. They are harmless, just disfiguring.

24/04/2013 at 23:18
I had to throw nearly all my lettuces last year, the leaf-miner making them totally inedible.
09/09/2013 at 19:58
Can anyone recommend a treatment for leaf miner as my curly kale is suffering! have used Bayer's Provado ultimate fruit & vegetable bug killer but I do not think it is working! :-( This is my first year growing vegetables and I'll be disheartened if I have major curly kale failure!!! Please can someone advice me on this problem?
09/09/2013 at 20:06

As they are actually inside the leaves, contact insecticides like that won't really work.  A systemic insecticide would, but that means you would be eating the chemical when you eat the kale, so that's not on either.  If there are not too many, you can squash them within the leaf between finger and thumb - where they are within the damaged areas is often visible.

09/09/2013 at 20:37

Thank you BobTheGardener I shall squash them tomorrow! Should I take any measures to prevent anymore appearing after this?

09/09/2013 at 22:02

There's not much you can do, but assuming it's Scaptomyza flava (a small fly about 2.5mm long), I think it's only active at certain times of the year (now being one of them), so fleecing the crop from midsummer is probably the best bet.  Apparently this particular species is becoming a serious pest for commercial brassica growers, so it might be worth googling.

09/09/2013 at 22:11

Thank you for your help. Hopefully I can now prevent any further damage. Many thanks BobTheGardener.

email image
9 messages