London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
13 messages
02/12/2013 at 16:49
There's a good chance that tomorrow I will be able to rake up the last of my leave's now my stitches are out of my hand,I haven't been able to use my hand for nearly three weeks,the exercise will do my good and being out side in the fresh air will make life better.
02/12/2013 at 16:50
There's a good chance that tomorrow I will be able to rake up the last of my leave's now my stitches are out of my hand,I haven't been able to use my hand for nearly three weeks,the exercise will do me good and being out side in the fresh air will make life better.
02/12/2013 at 18:31

Take care raking… you will discover some muscles you never knew you had! Don't put your new hand at risk either.

05/12/2013 at 19:27
I love making leaf-mould - I use leaves from neighbours' trees, and I rake up leaves from the local church footpaths - it makes me feel virtuous! But I do wonder whether it is really worth it, as it takes well over a year for them to rot down, and when they do there is so little to show for it. I use a 2x2m bin made from wire mesh, and dig the ones that have broken down straight into the soil, and put the rest into a smaller bin made from small pallets to continue rotting down. I do this on my allotment so I can incorporate the leaf bin into the rotation system.
06/12/2013 at 14:16

Make sure any recent scars are well covered , chippy, you don't want to open them up again. 

I have one builders bag with the contents of two builders bags worth of  oak leaves in from last year. I have filled one bag with leaves from this year.  I expect to use last years leaves next spring, maybe to top dress around the hellebores and between bulbs to show them up better. It takes a long time,but if you have room in an out of the way place, it takes little work other that the initial raking up.

06/12/2013 at 20:52

I too have managed to fill a builders bag up with leaves that simply love to fly into my garden. As I have never made a leaf mould before-do I leave the bag open or tie it up? Thank you.

06/12/2013 at 21:53

Tie up, but keep leaves damp .

06/12/2013 at 22:06

If you are using a 1 ton bag with loops on top you could drive posts through and fix with the top open just cover to stop then blowing all over the garden.

06/12/2013 at 22:08

That's a good idea oldchippy.  We might have a few of those bags about somewhere

06/12/2013 at 22:51

I still haven't clear my leave yet,I find it a bit difficult to hold most things in my left hand(being left handed does sent help),I'm sure thing will come right in the end.

06/12/2013 at 22:56

A bit at a time will do it eventually.No point in doing yourself more damage.

06/12/2013 at 23:02

I put chicken wire over the top of the builders bags to stop the leaves blowing about.  The almost done leaves from last year have a board over to stop them blowing about now.

07/12/2013 at 10:53

Brilliant ideas-thanks everyone. I have loads of netting so will cover it up with that.

Hope your hand is feeling better Oldchippy.

email image
13 messages