London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I have this problem on one of my rose cuttings, but don't mind it now I know it's a bee and presumably it will have had enough soon and leave my rose alone!
24/11/2011 at 15:28
busy bee's have totally defoliated a climbing rose which hasn't flowered for 3 years, but other roses are fine. Spraying with insecticide hasn't helped. will cover with net this year and see what happens.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
"Wait for the female and swish her away" You can't be serious! Is this really the best advice you can give?
30/01/2012 at 09:13
Our leaf cutter bees have made their home in the hollow arm of a garden bench. I don't mind in the least although the rose bush leaves are somewhat decimated. The bees worked very hard and were a joy to. Watch. Hope they stay with us !
03/02/2012 at 22:24

year before last we had our fuschias attacked - initially didn't know what this was and panic set in....however, we left alone and the following year the plants came up again with no problems. Amazing how a bee can leave such a perfect shaped 'bite'!

16/02/2012 at 20:45

I have the leaf cutter Bee in my garden and find them fasinating, they do no harm to the flowers just cut a beautiful circle out of a leaf, I put a bee box on the house wall , the one with the canes inside, and love watching the busy Bees going in and out, they lay there egg, put a blob of honey in for the grum to feed on then seal up the cane with the cut leaf, then next spring the " Baby " grows and hey-presto a new baby Bee, 

NEVER,NEVER use PESTICIDE, you will kill all the Bees etc,

13/03/2012 at 14:56

I think this must have been my problem last year when i planted 10 laurels and when i looked a few weeks later(it is a holiday home) no leaves left.!

13/03/2012 at 19:35

here in reno the decline(horrendous)in honeybee population has caused an explosion in all the wild bees, wasps and yes, pollinator flies, perhaps the same thing has happened in GB. honey bees will chase other insects away from nectar sources so perhaps we should just enjoy this interval before the bees come back.

09/04/2012 at 22:16
The pics shown of the damage caused by the leafcutter bee look exactly like a lot of my shrubs in one part of the garden. I thought I'd got leafcutter ants at one point as this was what it reminded me of. However, as these are perennials, red robin and roses, is it best just to leave them alone, will they recover? Unfortunately I'm at work all day so can't swat the bee away.
28/07/2012 at 21:15

Our leafcutter bees  nested in the top of a garden umbrella (better than the mice which ate through

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10336.jpg?width=270&height=350&mode=max

another one in the shed...) We found the egg cases and are hoping to re-house them elsewhere - see pics

29/07/2012 at 07:00

Leaf Cutter Bees like my  Fuchsia Genii,my Acer Orange Dream and Phlox Bright Eyes  I don't mind at all and find them fascinating - one has a nest in my greenhouse in the wood that holds the electrics. Please don't ever try to get rid of them - they don't harm the plants- just make them look interesting  Have you ever tried to photograph a Leaf Cutter Bee? They don't half move fast

Pam x

29/07/2012 at 07:31

I bought one of those insect homes ages ago which nothing except spiders went near for a couple of years (much to my horror) but now ever year the leaf cutter bees use it and I'm thrilled everytime I see another hole plugged!

16/07/2013 at 16:21
Leafcutter bees do much more good than harm for gardeners by pollinating.
Insecticides are indiscriminate & very wrong. The 'swish away' comment just daft!
-My experience is that the bees seem to prefer the leaves of St. John's Wort (Hypericum).
S.J.W is a nice plant itself & grows very readily.
Gardeners worried about their roses might try planting some SJW around & see what happens.
13/08/2013 at 12:29

Hi all I have 2 young mountain ash trees 1 looks healthy with plenty of berries, the other has lots of berries but its leaves are covered in dark patches and are looking sad and shrivelling up, any ideas please

13/08/2013 at 13:56

can you post this as a new thread   ?  Michael 7

29/08/2013 at 20:44

Learn to put your trust in bees.  They are far more intelligent than the majority of humans - they aren't the ones responsible for putting the food source of the world in jeopardy.

27/02/2014 at 09:04

Just leave them to do what they do. The good (pollination) by far outweighs the bad. After all what is the problem with a few chewed leaves, given the work that these bees do. Think bee this year and please don't use pesticides, all bees are in decline and suburbia is the best habitat available to these amazing little creatures.

27/02/2014 at 11:08

Hi, ref my bit yesterday, no advert i promise there is a cracking mason bee home ,looks like a swiss chalet and cheap  on you know where, avalook,

15/05/2014 at 19:26

I've just been watering my plants and noticed that we have some taking leaves into the wooden frame on the inside of the greenhouse again. They are fascinating to watch. Do you think that if I put an insect box up, they will relocate because we were looking at replacing the greenhouse soon.

15/05/2014 at 19:32

If I were you I'd contact these people and seek advice http://bumblebeeconservation.org/ 

1 to 20 of 24 messages