Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Liquidambar: plant this tree

Are they any good for wildlife?

• The Americans love this tree as long as it isn't in their yards, as the fruit falls abundantly and is painful to walk on. Just a thought, perhaps the fruitless variety 'Rotundiloba' would be better?
  • James, I have a Liquidamber that is about 30 feet tall, looking exquisite at the moment in my garden. It is pretty heavy clay soil in that area of the garden, the soil has never been improved.

You did my garden years ago in Dulwich. I admire all your work and blogs, by the way.
  • I have just planted a superb specimen of Liquidamber styraciflua 'Worpleston' in my Garden in West Sussex. The soil type is alkaline and clay, although it is also quite deep and fertile. I have to agree that this is one of the finest trees for Autumn colour and form and should be planted more often as it is actually suprisingly tolerant in all but shallow chalk soils
  • I planted a liquidamber in my Aberdeenshire coastal garden earlier this year it is struggling a bit although still alive does anyone else have experience of similar conditions?
  • VP: They will grow with you, they may not have the depth of colour that they get in, say, New england but they will still startle.
    Honesty:All trees are good for wildlife: if nothing else they give the birds somewhere to sit down.
    Karen: good point. You will find that they are not as free with their fruit over here.
    Bee: You must email me and tell me which garden it was. That was a disturbingly long time ago.
  • I would love one of these trees but where will I find it?
  • Very easily. A simple search should come up with a nursery in your area which stocks them.
  • I'm much encouraged by the notion that a Liquidamber Styraciflua ‘Worplesdon’ will cope with my garden conditions (chalk rock, so v alkaline, but a deep clay soil on top). I have a large garden & am keen to plant a number of trees to give glorious autumn colour. What other specimens would you recommend?
  • James, I agree with you this tree is truly magnificent for its autumn colour. I have one in my garden which is now 3 years old and is still in full leaf a blaze of burgundy, red and yellowey orange, which backlit by the late autumn sun takes your breath away. After several hard frosts in Nottinghamshire it is the only tree in my garden that has kept its leaves for so long. I would also sing its praises for its superb corky bark on the older trees which when denude of leaf give the most fabulous structure in the winter garden. This is one of my favorite trees I cannot sing its praises highly enough!
  • WE have a mature Liquidamber in our garden but for the last few years it has refused to change colour. Any ideas?