London (change)
Today 9°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
06/11/2010 at 10:02
I am posting this again following Registration and submission of email address. I have had a thornless domestic blackberry for several years which has vigorous canes and foliage. My problem this year is that whilst I had plenty of large fruit I was only able to harvest about 50pct because the fruits would not properly ripen. Is there any measure I can take to rectify this situation, or should I dig the plant up and replace it with such as the Loch Ness? The plant is against a westerly facing tall timber fence and I live in Burgess Hill, West Sussex.
03/04/2011 at 16:44
I have had a Loch Ness blackberry in my garden for about 7 years now. The fruits are wonderful. However, there are usually only 1 or 2 new canes growing every summer. In gardening books there always seem to be many more new shoots on the pictures of blackberry plants. Is there a reason why there are so few new shoots?
28/11/2011 at 18:29
Loch Ness is fab isn't it! I had a fantastic plant of it trailing all over my fence at my old house. Sadly I had to leave it behind when I moved last year. But the new owner is a keen gardener and has rooted me a runner which I think might go against the allotment shed.
18/08/2014 at 15:11

Do you know how many canes are likely to develop from a loch Ness Blackberry plant. I want to plant again a west facing fence and have about 6foot of space between each fence post to fill. Will that be enough space

18/08/2014 at 19:21

My Loch Ness is about 5-6 years old and normally sends up about 4 or 5 new canes each year.  The old (fruited) canes are cut back to the ground after fruiting (I usually do that in the winter.)  The canes are very substantial and need little if any support - they are too strong to be twined around wires, just spread them into a fan and hold in place - each one tied to a single horizontal wire stretched between the fence posts would be sufficient.  Mine is about 8 foot tall and 6 foot wide so just about right for your position.  Kenmuir has a brilliant pdf with everything you need to know:

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf/Growing%20Guides/Blackberries.pdf

email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages