London (change)
Today 21°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
01/04/2009 at 17:16
We first came across them in our garden about three years ago. They would usually be seen in pairs 'hedge hopping' in their search for insects. However this year we are seeing more and more of them and they seem to love the fat balls we hang out. Such beautiful little birds.
01/04/2009 at 20:26
The first time i saw one was several years ago whn i lived in a terraced house with just a back yard, i was really surprsed to see it. And just the other week whilst i was in work i saw aother one i couldnt believe my eyes it was busying itself looking for insects on the trees outside the building, i definately had a birds eye view being on the first floor just right to see the tree tops. It brightened up my day thats for sure.
02/04/2009 at 11:42
I don't think I have ever seen long-tailed tits in my garden at all in the twenty odd years I have lived there. Not until this winter that is and then they came in packs!! Six, seven at a time all over the fat balls. I haven't seen them though since end of Feb.
02/04/2009 at 18:13
We have seen Long Tailed Tits for the last couple of years at our bird feeding station, particularly after fats, and the seeds in the fats, they only appear for a few weeks January/February, then disappear for the rest of the year, we live in South Wales, is anyone else recording these birds in South Wales, ?, I am a member of Garden Bird Watch for BTO.
02/04/2009 at 18:34
Here in mid-Hampshire we have had long-tailed tits for many years, usually accompanied by several blue tits. They come in a flock of ten or more, and last year they brought their youngsters - the garden was alive with them. They really are a joy to see.
02/04/2009 at 19:16
We have had long tailed tits in our garden in surrey for at least the last 16 years. They arrive in great crowds like a pack of lively teenagers and flit around the garden collecting insects. This year they are to be seen regularly eating form the peanut feeder usually in pairs.
02/04/2009 at 19:19
We live in Surrey and have acid soil with pines growing. There have always been flocks of twittering Long Tailed Tits. They are my favourite member of the tit family and act like comical clowns flitting from tree to tree. However I have noticed they are becoming bolder and venturing nearer to the house. This winter they have been daily visitors to the various fat goodies I have hung out. I had one sit on the window sill and it appeared to be looking inside at me. However, I concluded that it may have caught sight of it's reflection in the glass, and like a budgerigar was enjoying the extra company.
03/04/2009 at 07:38
We saw Long Tailed Tits for the first time in our garden about a week ago they looked very happy flitting about the trees Ive never seen them before and grabbed my binocculars to get a closer look, hopefully they're here to stay.
03/04/2009 at 07:55
This Winter we had a group of long-tailed tits that visited our little garden in Wiltshire two or three times a day. What fun they are to watch (and listen to). They didn't go for the fat balls but ate the robin's food, the 'bird pastry' I've been making for years. Havn't seen them recently, I think they must have paired off and found nesting sites elsewhere.
03/04/2009 at 08:53
Sitting outside a cafe in the centre of Plymouth last December I was delighted to hear the high-pitched call of a LTT. On looking up at the trees in the central bed opposite I saw a whole flock of at least 30 of them. A real bonus to the soul in the middle of a bleak winters shopping trip ! They then flew off, calling all the time,down the centre planting areas leading to the Hoe Not a single person looked up - missing such a delightful display ! I caught the bus home that day with a smile !
03/04/2009 at 20:59
i have never seen a long tailed tit in all my 45 years until this winter feeding from fat balls in my garden at first i thought they were buggies i brought a bird book and found they were lttbeautiful they are still coming to my garden in leicester
03/04/2009 at 22:51
I have a little flock of long tailed tits come to my garden every year they dash in, clamber over shubs looking for insects, always following one and other from shrub to shrub not really interested in the feeders, they do spend more time searching out insects, then they all fly off in quick succession, dear little things.
05/04/2009 at 08:30
I have a Question! What fab reclamation centre did Toby use on this weeks Gardener's World?
05/04/2009 at 18:20
We've had these gorgeous little birds coming to our garden for the past two years. They usually come in groups of 6+ and will be around and about the garden for most of the day throughout winter and spring. They tend to eat from the fat balls we put out. Occasionally they will take sunflower hearts from the seed feeders. I live in Runcorn, Cheshire.
05/04/2009 at 19:13
we have had them for the past few years here in our garden in Bristol. They come in small flocks of 15 or more. My favourite bird.
06/04/2009 at 15:04
These lovely little birds are often in our garden in Holmfirth, West Yorkshire.They eat the seeds off the bird table, but are usually looking for insects on branches & twigs.
06/04/2009 at 16:16
I see long-tailed tits frequently in my mid-Wales garden - except for the weekend of the big bird count in January. Then all the birds seem to disappear, only to return when its all over!
07/04/2009 at 21:30
We have been putting out bird feeders containing seeds and nuts and occasionally fat balls for years but have never seen long-tailed tits visiting the garden until this year when for the first time we filled one of the feeders with suet pellets containing either insect bits or berries. Now they arrive daily, usually in pairs, but they only take the pellets. They are really pretty.
08/04/2009 at 14:36
We've had a family of 5 all feeding off the peanut feeder at the same time this Winter(North East England). I wasn't sure what they were to start with as they were the standard form rather than the "northern form". I haven't seen any over the last month or so.
10/04/2009 at 19:49
I've seen some interesting birds on my London inner-city balcony, despite its position next to an extremely busy railway line - can anyone help me to identify the third picture? I think it's a green finch but I'm not sure - any comments much appreciated! http://londonvegetablegarden.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-arrivals-at-london-vegetable-garden.html
1 to 20 of 25 messages