London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
6 messages
21/12/2012 at 11:33
I do not know whether you have received my question about orchids. This was, what are the white string-like threads at soil level. Can they be cut off without affecting the plant
Tamarindos
21/12/2012 at 12:30

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/flowers/looking-after-orchids/3605.html

I pretty sure they are roots, so for heaven's sake, don't cut them off. See pictures in link above.

21/12/2012 at 15:29
Thank you. They must be aerial roots as they are above ground level. II suppose that is reasonable as I believe orchids in the wild grow as epiphytes on tree trunks
23/12/2012 at 11:00
I received my moth orchid in July for my birthday and it is still producing flowers on an offshoot from the mother stem with some buds still to open, there is a slight stickiness where the flowers are, is this normal? also there is a straight strong shoot coming up from under the leaves i think it looks different from the others "roots" as it is silver with a green tip, could this be a new shoot? I have collected seeds from the dried flowers that fell on the windowsill and was wondering when is the best time to try and propagate them?
23/12/2012 at 12:37

have a very careful look at those flowers with a magnifying glass - stickiness may mean that there are insects there.

Shoot - the silver tip may just be a fresh root, but may also be a flower shoot. You can only wait and see.

02/07/2014 at 21:14
I have two varieties of wild orchid in my garden and have two questions - how did they get there and how do we encourage them to propagate?

They are Common Spotted (1) and Northern March Orchid (3).

We live in E Aberdeenshire at 150 metres. The garden was planted 6 years ago as a wild meadow and has many plants otherwise regarded as weeds, Ox Eye daisies, Cow Slip and Buttercup along with Dock. There are 40 trees mostly birch, maple, cherry and conifers (various). The orchids have appeared this year for the first time and in an area which is damp.

Any help much appreciated.
email image
6 messages