London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
5 messages
21/12/2012 at 11:33
I do not know whether you have received my question about orchids. This was, what are the white string-like threads at soil level. Can they be cut off without affecting the plant
Tamarindos
21/12/2012 at 12:30

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/features/flowers/looking-after-orchids/3605.html

I pretty sure they are roots, so for heaven's sake, don't cut them off. See pictures in link above.

21/12/2012 at 15:29
Thank you. They must be aerial roots as they are above ground level. II suppose that is reasonable as I believe orchids in the wild grow as epiphytes on tree trunks
23/12/2012 at 11:00
I received my moth orchid in July for my birthday and it is still producing flowers on an offshoot from the mother stem with some buds still to open, there is a slight stickiness where the flowers are, is this normal? also there is a straight strong shoot coming up from under the leaves i think it looks different from the others "roots" as it is silver with a green tip, could this be a new shoot? I have collected seeds from the dried flowers that fell on the windowsill and was wondering when is the best time to try and propagate them?
23/12/2012 at 12:37

have a very careful look at those flowers with a magnifying glass - stickiness may mean that there are insects there.

Shoot - the silver tip may just be a fresh root, but may also be a flower shoot. You can only wait and see.

email image
5 messages