Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Make the most of a greenhouse in autumn

I have a plastic greenhouse. Will that keep plants etc protected from frost?

Sue

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    lescala wrote (see)
    I have a plastic greenhouse. Will that keep plants etc protected from frost?
    Sue

Highly unlikely-not without some extra protection,insulation or heating.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

What plants are you hoping to protect lescala ?

Pam LL x

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 60 seconds FG that fast

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'm good James- image

Fastis my middle name. Need a lie down now image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Greenhouses can protect from frost and frost damafe, but an unheated one will not protect from cold temperatures.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I had a plastic one years ago, my first, was thrilled with it. We were nearly divorced in the process of erecting it. image

It did protect the terracota pots and their contents which were hardy but didn't want drowning or weighing down with snow. Stored compost and plant pots in it as I didn't have a shed.

Problem was it had a lot of condensation and due to this I lost it. Well didn't lose it but found it in the middle of the garden after a windy night, I forgot to close the door and up and away it went. I thought it was well secured but obviously not.

Lescala hope you get pleasure from yours.

• i must admit i bring all my small seeded plants and non hardy plants indoors to the spare bedroom.. Hubby gets annoyed with me.. but hey i just tell him "if they die i will ahve to go some replacements" and he lets it beimage

but i have side one on house and it keeps warm for the heat of the house also.. but i dont keep much in greenhouse except for fuschias, agapanthus, and terracota pots.

i did insulate mine one year with bubble wrap.. hubby not impressed with that job.. ut to be honst it go so much condensation.. it was worse that no insulating and my plants died.. so i dont bother anymore..