London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
10 messages
11/01/2013 at 19:40
Am thinking of doing a similar thing. I have built a pond in my garden and nearby I want to put piles of wood and ferns for the frogs and toads etc to have somewhere to hide.
12/01/2013 at 09:12
I fell in love with stumperies when i saw the one built at Hanham Court whose owners had built the one at Highgrove. Mt one under my huge eucalyptus is a haven for wildlife though not on the same scale. It has foxgloves and mulleins in it too so is colourful and the bumblebees love it. I am sure all gardens whatever the size can have a little bit of wild naturalistic planting however small to help biodiversity.
13/01/2013 at 14:36
I did this with my ex-willow tree,and some 15 years on I still have the log as a seat-come-moss lichen habitate.
18/01/2013 at 09:51
ould I just appeal to everyone not to go out into the countryside and start bringing wood home, instead of leaving it where it is already supporting its own wildlife. If you've got newly-cut wood on site, by all means use it, but otherwise leave it where it is
18/01/2013 at 17:46
I would like to do something like this in a new garden but am worried that it will encourage honey fungus, which I seem to have in one area. I read online that the best way to discourage honey fungus is to make sure the stumps are infected with another fungus first, as the first one there generally wins. Is there an easy way to do this other than drilling holes and buying prepared fungus plugs. Is painting the logs with mashed up/liquified fungus another option? My local greengrocer has quite a range.
18/01/2013 at 19:24

I've used a lot of stumps and offcuts of wood in my garden. A couple of years ago there was a felling of a large area of pine trees, I did collect them when they were fresh and 2 years on they are still acting as a feeding station for birds, stepping stones onto the beds and  are now being colonised by moss. I have a much older stump that some sortof heather is growing on

18/01/2013 at 21:56
Great idea I have a stash of too large logs I could use , I saw a garden with stumps with hostas planted into them as pots.
22/01/2013 at 10:15
I would be very keen to hear from any British gardeners who have tried hugelkulture (using buried logs to form either raised beds or sunken under level beds). They are supposed to be an efficient way of growing with much less feeding and watering. High yields and no tilling. The carbon and nitrogen balance, mycro fungi and airy roots are supposed to do all the real work.

Any one out there that's made one and can share hints and tips?
AWB
16/03/2014 at 07:36

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39638.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39639.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Hollow concrete blocks in centre to create a hibernaculm ,then well rotted horse manure , then topped with leaf mould and twigs from ditch.

Planted with ferns hostas foxglove epimedium.

Yesterday at 12:31
Nice one, a really great thing for wildlife.You could have also considered a hugelkultur bed which simpley put is a buried and raised log bed for growing crops.
Geoff
email image
10 messages