London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
14 messages
10/02/2012 at 15:11
Hello Kate,A garden is only as good as the person making it,If space isn't available you the next best thing is a container that can be moved around the garden,Some thing you can't do with a border,Thailand a what's wrong with snowy England Best Wishes Oldchippy.
12/02/2012 at 12:30
Hello Kate I know this is nothing to do with pond life, sitting here in Ewell looking down the garden I have seen more Fieldfare this year then any other year,They have been eating the berries off the Pyracantha bush's they are all queuing up in the Cotoneaster's at the bottom of the garden but not eating the berries, they may not be as ripe yet.There was a Black cap taking the berries from the end of the branches the Fieldfare could not reach.
    15/02/2012 at 14:27
How lovely, oldchippy. I'm sure the sudden cold blast had birds returning to gardens in droves, to fill up on berries and supplementary food. I've not seen many birds in my garden this year - certainly not fieldfares - there must be enough for them in the local parks and wildlife reserves.

Kate
15/02/2012 at 19:38
the pot pond is a lovely idea and im going to give it a go , but how will the frogs be able to climb into my pot i would love some little tadpoles
    17/02/2012 at 09:58
Frogs can climb really well DIGWEED, mine often use the trellis to climb into my tin bath pond, even though there are two much easier routes into the pond!

Kate
18/02/2012 at 18:14
Mini-ponds in pots sound absolutely lovely, but perhaps a little susceptible to changing water temperatures? Best then to put them out of direct sunlight.

I shall have a go for my North facing front door.
23/02/2012 at 18:56
A few years ago I used my (now grown up sons) baby bath, buried into the ground and covered with a pond liner and pebbles. I have had years of surprises - newts, endless types of frogs and pond life, but last year frogspawn.
23/02/2012 at 19:34

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/5723.jpg?width=428&height=350&mode=max

Last year we sank a small half barrel in a small area of our garden planted it up with a water lily, oxygenating plants, and surrounded the whole thing with a bog garden and bog plants,  installed a pump and we had three frogs visit in the Summer. This week we came across a couple of mating frogs!!

26/02/2012 at 20:48
I have a pond full of frog spawn at the moment. however, the water snails are climbing onto it. will they eat it or are they just after any algae that might grow on it? the spawn only started appearing on Saturday so no algae yet
26/02/2012 at 23:52

I am really excited after reading this article, I bought a belfast sink second hand last year and plan to use a tub trug inside it this year to make a mini pond. Now I know what to put in it I just need to find out what plants to put around it and I'll be ready to go! Will the frogs find it even though I live in the middle of a city?

01/03/2012 at 22:43

Ele it is amazing but you will find the frogs will discover it in no time, bog plants around the edge look great, good luck.

02/03/2012 at 15:56

Help. I need advise on cleaning my garden pond please,the water is always murky evan with my pump going.

06/03/2012 at 03:28
Dear Kate, I love your water story, I have a half barrel water garden, I have a small Waterlily in it and an Iris but seems as though I should fill some more pots, Oh! and the birds like drinking from it along with other creatures. hope you are enjoying your garden after your travels.
26/08/2013 at 15:31

Eric I was at RHS Tatton this year and they had a demo on making small ponds: they recommended Barley straw concentrate (liquid). Maybe it's worth a go?

email image
14 messages