Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Making plum vodka

We haven't tried plum vodka in our house yet but have jars of raspberry/blackcurrant gin and gooseberry vodka on the go.

Plum vodka sounds lovely but are there any other spirits that can be used with good results? My brandy is too good and too expensive to add cherries to.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I used a cheep but reputable brand of vodka for damson  vodka.after two years it was more like a liqueur.so VERY  STRONG....

.. hmmmm BEAUTIFUL !

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

We made sloe vodka by 'mistake' one year when we ran out of gin.  Since then we've made it every year... it is Fantastic.  We use wild damsons from the hedgerow - they're a sloe / damson cross and just brilliant.

• All sounds delicious! I shook my vodka this morning...it's definitely taking on a green tint so I'm so far very happy!

Kate
  • I've a load of lovely blue-black plums so as well as jam I'm going to have a go at bottling some in spiced brandy, as per the River Cottage recipe here http://tallcloverfarm.com/4738/plums-in-a-jar-spicy-spirited-keepers

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Can I come for dinner Dove? - sounds yum

I had a little trip to Aldi this weekend to suss out their gin which has won various awards & beat several premium brands in blind tastings. It was certainly cheap (less than £10 for 750ml I think) and I noticed they also had similarly priced brandy.

Now I didn't think the gin was that great for G&T (a bit sharp for my taste) but it will do VERY nicely for making raspberry gin (adding blackcurrants sound good too) & I think I will also try Sarah Raven's blackberry & apple gin.

I imagine the brandy is also a bit rough for after dinner drinking but will work a treat for cooking, c-word cake & pudding & for fruit brandies. So I might be giving that a go too.

If you are too impatient to wait for raspberry & blackberry gin to mature a slug of Pixley(?) raspberry & blackcurrant cordial (delish  image) in a strong G&T is a really nice fruity / summery cocktail & not too sweet.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • I currently have 1.5 litres of plum vodka, 1.5 litres of blackberry vodka, and 1.5 litres of plum and blackberry vodka on the go. They all also have a couple of vanilla pods in, and some plum seeds.  Last year's sloe gin in also in the cupboard maturing nicely.

My friends and family are going to have a very Merry Christmas image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352
    Runnybeak - Did you enjoy it?
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • What was the plum vodka like Catsmother?

Raspberry vodka and gooseberry vodka went down the best at my house. Cherry vodka was a bit too sweet for me but the one I am looking forward to is redcurrant gin.

Definitely will not try haw gin again though. A most off-putting colour and bland taste.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Not a fruit vodka but has anyone tried toffee vodka?  Put some Mr W sweets in vodka and they dissolve quite sweet but interesting.  

• has anyone ever used blackberries that were frozen?? if so what was the result??