London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
21 to 40 of 44 messages
22/02/2009 at 19:16
Wood,(paper is made from this)animal and bird manures including night soil if you can get it,but I would not use cat or dog droppings, coal ash may contain sulphur but we used to get some of the best potatoes off our local council tip during the last war,and tomato plants from the local sewage plant(so it gives us something to think about,my grandfather made tank as they call it(stank abit but he won many a show with his flowers)
22/02/2009 at 19:47
To mel We once had a load of farmyard manure delivered(cow)must have been bedded on wood shavings containing preservatives (even had horse manure to the same degree)had a very bad year growing that year,so look on the bags.
23/02/2009 at 11:31
Blimey, people, what is all this stuff? I am as much of a stickler for decent grammar as anybody but we are not exactly dealing with literary criticism here! The thing to remember about any manure/organic matter etc is that if it has been composted well enough it will all help condition your soil. Farmyard manure containing visible shavings is just not old enough. In general a pile of manure ready for the garden should smell sweet and slightly nutty: Richard's quote is particularly apt. Anything excessively stinky is not mature enough (I did buy some stuff from an abattoir once that really was nasty: there was a distinct marital froideur for a few days). Ashes are fine to add to the compost heap as is torn paper: I shred all my old bills, envelopes etc and put them on the compost.
23/02/2009 at 22:17
James - I don't think the real problem has been grammar, or lack of it. More that we don't like to be scolded in the manner of the first comment here. 'Holier than thou' comments deserve a bit of ridicule and backchat in my opinion.
23/02/2009 at 22:20
back to the subject however - our neighbours have pet rabbits. Can I add their old bedding to my compost bin?
24/02/2009 at 21:23
Lainey - not really, it will slow down the compost production. I compost it separately - keep it wet for a year, to let the wood shavings rot down a little. I then use it as a mulch round my apple trees and soft fruit. Keeps the weeds at bay and the rabbit poo counteracts the nitrogen sapping effects of the wood shavings. Fantastic stuff.
27/02/2009 at 13:30
Any thoughts please on used cat litter in the garden? I wonder even if droppings are removed, is it safe from bacteria - have seen suggestions to put it in the compost bin or even to sprinkle directly on the soil when some of it will of course be damp. I worry about harm when later weeding etc. as don't always find gloves convenient, and if food will be safe to eat.I am inclined to tuck in odd food plants in flower beds, e.g. garlic, chard etc.
01/03/2009 at 18:51
hi, can anyone tell me why my soil has whitish/grey mould like stuff in it when its dug,it had horse manure put on in autumn.
02/03/2009 at 14:44
Hi Flora08. Lots of sound stuff about cat litter here http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/20071130/how-can-i-reuse-or-recycle-cat-litter Suews1: the white stuff are fungi and just part of the rotting down process it is particularly obvious in mushroom compost. Worry not.
16/03/2009 at 22:22
can eny one out there tell me can you use chicken manure instead of cow or hourse manure on your allotment dose it do the same job
17/03/2009 at 21:03
whats up no one out ther to tell me if chicken manure is the same as cow or horse manure cume on lets no? /
23/03/2009 at 08:47
Joseph: Chicken manure is very strong stuff. I always add mine to the compost heap rather than applying it directly to the garden. Manure that is too strong with burn young shoots.
24/03/2009 at 17:42
thanks i will do that james i will take that on board thanks
28/03/2009 at 13:45
I think the smell of horse manure is not offensive atall, we have horses so are surrounded by the smell. I went into our local Mole valley farmers the other day and they had a pallet of pelleted chicken manure in boxes, in the entrance and it was so smelly i thought it was coming from the drains!Pig manure is as bad. I am just starting my own veg plot and have made full use of the dung heap, when my children come home from school i tell them that i have been playing in the dung heap - they love it.
28/03/2009 at 13:46
answer to Francis. we always leave it for a full season before attacking it for the garden. but i am sure i have read somewhere that you should leave it for at least 2 months.
19/04/2009 at 17:20
nothing wrong with the smell of manure,you should smell my comfrey tea while it's brewing!!!!!!!!!!!
24/04/2009 at 09:03
http://www.woodlandhp.co.uk/mushroom-compost-supplier/index.html
17/06/2009 at 11:09
Can you give me any information about sterilising garden compost, we have a large amount of material including rotted wood from conifers and grass cuttings left by previous owner. We are concerned it could contain disease damaging to the garden. Any advice appreciated.
07/07/2009 at 21:03
does the same kind of soil get used in green roofs and green houses? Found some information at www.permatill.com that could be helpful.
09/08/2009 at 09:26
How about sheep's wool? The sheep were shorn and as I'd have to pay to have it taken away I was wondering if I can use it as a weed suppressant? Or can I just mix it in with the manure to compost? The sheep belonged to my father who died recently so am trying to figure out what to do with this stuff. And please excuse spelling mistakes and grammatical errors...
21 to 40 of 44 messages