Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Diana Reynolds
a pest but a serious investation on a neighbours mint was beautiful, glittering all over

Er right... so GW presenters spend much time teaching us how to attract bees to our garden and then the GW website tells us how to kill them with neonicotinoid insecticides. Does GW really think some guy with a pesticide sprayer is really going to carefully remove all flowers from the mint that he has sprayed when they open? Also the neonicotinoids are not only present in pollen and nectar but also in the plant's roots, leaves and stems, where they will continue to kill bees and beneficial organisms that are upwards from them in the food chain. The BBC should stop promoting pesticides.

Frankly, mint can look after itself. Slugs and snails are the big problem this year for the organic gardemer.

sotongeoff
Dusha wrote (see)

Er right... so GW presenters spend much time teaching us how to attract bees to our garden and then the GW website tells us how to kill them with neonicotinoid insecticides. Does GW really think some guy with a pesticide sprayer is really going to carefully remove all flowers from the mint that he has sprayed when they open? Also the neonicotinoids are not only present in pollen and nectar but also in the plant's roots, leaves and stems, where they will continue to kill bees and beneficial organisms that are upwards from them in the food chain. The BBC should stop promoting pesticides.

Frankly, mint can look after itself. Slugs and snails are the big problem this year for the organic gardemer.

You may or may not be aware that Monty Don on a programme pointed out that the only way to get rid of lily beetle was to squash them -this upset the pesticide industry because there are chemical preventatives

I don't think that the BBC are promoting pesticides in this article- just pointing out that this is an option

So if your mint gets leaf beetle go and buy a jar from the shop and try again next year. Don't ingest the chemicals.

Six weeks past, my healthy new tub plant of mint was stripped down to damaged, leggy stalks, which then died. The mint, small and prolific, is now regrowing from a healthy root system. Can anyone tell me what stripped the mint please? And how I can prevent it happening again. Thanks

Advertisement

Could someone tell me if this is the same one I see from time to time. It is definitely brown bronze rather than green. It does seem to like nepeta but also I've seen it on other plants. It does not seem to do much harm but I remember a very similar one, they called japanese beetle got them into a tizzy.

Thank you Dove.  Don't see it there but I suppose it must be the green mint beetle.  I would say it was really brown bronze rather than green, even tho this is ireland!  My previous post should have said that the excitement over the japanese beetles was in Massachusetts 25 years ago.

I have this beetle all over my lavenders. I discovered it last year and did nothing thinking it was pretty and ate mint but alas it waged war on the lavenders so I'm a bit more vigilant this year.
I had loads of these green beetles last year, could this be the reason my mint has not appeared this year? I thought you could never kill mint
B3

I had rosemary beetle. Don't know if they were the same  - metallic green with stripes. Easily visible so picked them off and squashed them. It took about a week before there were none left to squash. That was a couple of years ago and I haven't seen them since.