London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
7 messages
25/09/2007 at 08:48
I am sure it was Michael Parkinson who once said that one of his ambitions in life was to own a garden which had a tree with mistletoe on it. It is a comment which has always stuck with me even if I have mis-quoted him!
25/09/2007 at 14:15
this is a good plant
25/09/2007 at 16:56
I too have apple blossom, only one sprig on a crab apple, the tree is only 3 years old, so still very small. I live on a very exposed site in Marple, near Stockport, in Ches. Must be the dreaded global warming?
25/09/2007 at 20:03
I was given some fresh berries from my friends mistletoe and rubbed them under the branches of a apple tree in the garden then forgot about it until the following year when I could see small green sprouts comimg out of the branches and wondered what they were, it dawned on me a while later that this was the mistletoe growing after a good 10 months or so. I now have three good healthy "growths" and hope we get some berries this year.
31/10/2007 at 17:24
I was delighted to find mistletoe growing on the apple tree in my newly aquired garden 7 years ago. It has been lightly 'pruned' each year to provide sprigs for home, college and school but without berries. I was devastated last year to find a kind-hearted neighbour had 'helped out' in the garden by stripping the mistletoe off the tree (along with a climber rose and Christmas rose). Sadly there won't be home grown mistletoe decorations this Christmas. However there were signs this spring that the mistletoe is fighting back, it has produced a couple of small shoots which I hope will flourish and be joined by many more.
02/11/2007 at 16:33
Reply to Dogwalker: I too have tried to smear mistletoe berries on our rather unproductive apple tree, but I have yet to see any results. But I noticed some more plants in my local area. Looking up out of the windscreen is not a good idea whilst driving, but I could not help noticing the large dark spheres of tight shoots against the bare tree branches as I made my way through Bromley last week. Several trees have mistletoe growing in them. Now is obviously the time to look.
28/11/2011 at 18:29
Talking about curiosities, I have just discovered on my dwarf apple tree (Discovery) a further crop of blossom and fruitlets. The main crop was in July and was a very heavy yield, so you can imagine my surprise. This tree is approximately 8 years old and this is the first time this has happened. I live in Reading in Berkshire and although slightly warmer than other parts of the country we have still succumbed to the terrible summer conditions.
email image
7 messages