London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
25/08/2009 at 15:50
I sympathise. I have recently been visited by a mole. He surfaced at the edge of my son's 8 foot diameter plastic pool and tunnelled all the way round it! I plan to dig this area over and turn it into a veg/plant bed so maybe he has done me a favour! I have taken the live and let live attititude and he has migrated under the beds along one side of my garden, causing bulges under my gravelled area and in the beds. When I re-levelled this area I was quite impressed at his abilities. He has not ventured out into the lawn, apart from a few short deviations and no hills have appeared. I have put a few mothballs in the tunnels, and I think (fingers crossed!!) that he has moved on to pastures new. I haven't heard my neighbours cursing, so hopefully he has found his way back to the fields at the back of my garden. My only disappointment is that I never witnessed him popping his head out of a hole. The only mole I have ever seen was a dead one on the road. I actively encourage birds and other wildlife into my garden and love to watch them, so I accept I have to take the rough with the smooth. Que sera!!
25/08/2009 at 16:09
Well, it may not get rid of the moles, but the neighbours will be entertained!
25/08/2009 at 16:34
A friend's father used to put his dog's 'doings' down mole hills - based on some kind 'fear of larger predator' type theory. Not sure it worked but he was remarkable cheerful while doing it...
25/08/2009 at 17:27
I have had similar problems. Built our house 19 years ago, surrounded by farmland, but no previous problems with moles. He uddenly appeared in the spring, & made several molehills all around our pond. I kept flattening them only for him to keep renewing them. He is now venturing right across vast areas of the lawn by digging tunnels everywhere. He is lifting the turf but not breaking the surface. I don't mind too much, but one of these days I'm doing to fall into the garden, so will have to keep an eye on things. I haven't tried getting rid of him, as I'm hoping he'll go & join the cattle next door.
27/08/2009 at 13:12
Having moved in to our house, whichis surrounded by fields, we saw our first mole hill on our rear lawn some 14 years ago and innocently thought how wonderful that we had a mole to add to our wildlife list for the garden! A year or two later I was counting the No. of mole hills just in one area of the back garden and lost count at 75 and I was only 2/3 of the way across. The lawn, was non-existent by the time the moles had finished and looked like the craters on the moon. Finally, after two years we plucked up the courage and we did set traps. We were mole free for a good year, having laid a new turfed lawn, but they have returned, both at the back and front of the property now. It's a difficult decision to make but we will reset the traps, as we have found it the only effective way of dealing with them.
27/08/2009 at 13:48
You could try loads of rounders, cricket and such on the lawn with the grandkids(if you have them - if not borrow a neghbours). The moles don't like vibration. If there are cattle in the field next to you chances are the moles come into your garden for a quieter life! Good luck!
27/08/2009 at 15:37
i have also heard that they don't like vibrations and was told that if you stick one of those kids windmills on a stick into the ground it will deter them.
27/08/2009 at 15:55
We are being plagued with Moles. 3 Sonic repellants have been installed but ignored by molee. I think they soon get used to regular noise or vibrations. Neighbour has even tried burying speakers attached to his radio.Moles also dig around traps we set, so it looks like more drastic action is needed. Pest Controllers quote gassing is the only thing that really works. Obviously an expensive route to take but maybe the only answer.
27/08/2009 at 17:09
Can someone tell me an environmentally friendly alternative to carbendazim to cure the chocolate spot on my broad beans, please?
27/08/2009 at 17:18
I too have had moles invading the garden but was pretty impressed with the mothballs idea. They worked. The windmills didnt but the granddaughters loved them. The sonic repellers worked for a short while but now their noise is driving me potty!!!
27/08/2009 at 17:32
There are methods which I have used to get rid of moles: 1) Putting a hose down the highest molehill and flooding them out. 2) Attaching a hose to the exhaust of your petrol lawnmower and gassing them out or 3) buying mole smokes ( still legal in France) and popping them down the holes. I was overrun by moles and used the above solutions and have been mole-free for over 6 years.
28/08/2009 at 08:21
Not sure if I have moles or voles? I live in the countryside with a small natural stream in the garden. The 'soil' is a clay based concrete of stones and builder's rubble so nothing has tried to burrow under my lawn but the areas I have improved, next to the stream, were colonised over the summer with tunnels and small hills. Both my edible rhubarb and two ornamental rheums went yellow and disappeared without trace! I have been wondering if I have voles eating the roots as surely I would have found dried up roots if it was just a case of moles excavating them? Also, for a time-consuming and possibly expensive solution to moles how about re-laying your lawn on a good thick layer of compressed hard core with just a couple of inches of soil on top?! (That's what I seem to have already and the miner hasn't ventured there!)
28/08/2009 at 15:38
I had the same trouble in France with various locals giving me their wisdom. The plumber suggested broken glass down the holes as mole are haemophyliacs, this worked for a while and next season I had to pick the glass off the new hills or risk puncturing the tractor mower tyres!! I have heard that ladies tights or pop socks works as they get their claws entangled and move elsewhere. Diesel soaked rags is also being suggested. Here's hoping.
28/08/2009 at 21:05
I was recently visited by a mole - I looked down to find him standing by my foot! He seemed to have lost his way home because he trotted off down the garden path trying to find an exit. I later saw him several times wandering up and down the path then my dog spotted him from the window.Although I did not want Mr Mole in my garden I did not want the dog to catch him so got out my sonic mole scarer and have not seen him since.
29/08/2009 at 08:02
I have childrens windmills in my garden and they have worked, the field behind me has mole hills not me now !
29/08/2009 at 17:46
Moles come and go leaving little hills which I sieve for potting material, stones go on the gravel drive. One spring I noticed an energetic ripple just under the surface of a weedy bed. It went on for 3-4 yards. Intrigued I waited to see if a snake, weasel or other burrower emerged - out tumbled two baby pink nosed moles playing together. Although I hate their descration of the lawn I could not do other than delight in their antics. My cat pees on the molehills.
01/09/2009 at 10:55
For the first time in 33 years I had mole hills on my tiny lawn - have put in a sonic solar repeller - 2 weeks later a mole hill appeared right next to it!!- prior to that I planted cuttings of a plant (sorry don't know correct name) supposed to deter moles -fingers crossed my lawn has now been clear for 3 weeks.
01/09/2009 at 14:49
Yes, it is indeed so that moles DO NOT like vibrations. We have used this fact to our advantage by initially, and sucessfully, planting a garden cane topped with a supermarket carrier bag into the effected area. We have now progressed through a variety of more aesthetically pleasing versons of this method, eg homemade flags, childrens windmills, and now have a couple geese with spring loaded wings flying on top of metal canes. All work a treat. Remove the deterrent and Mr Mole returns, only to vacate to pastures new when the vibrators are re-instated.
03/09/2009 at 16:04
Cool site, love the info.
10/09/2009 at 16:29
Well, I spoke too soon. He hasn't gone, just stopped moving through the lawn and is pottering up and down the flower beds. To be honest, moles are the least of my worries at the moment so I'll just leave him be!!
1 to 20 of 27 messages