Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Moles

Hi there

I do enjoy most of what gardeners world stands for but I am appalled at the response to mole hills above.
Please tell me why it is acceptable to gas or trap a mole purely for the reason that it is digging a few holes in the lawn? Why are lawns so precious!
I really cannot understand why gardeners world who should set an example of good practice would advocate such behaviour.

As gardeners we should work alongside mother nature not kill it!

Chloe

• You are obviously unaware of the devastation they cause! lawn collapsing under tunnels, , plants grown from seed ,overwintered , hardenened off, planted out and then dug up! no earthworms,huge patches of dead grass under mounds, and not a few mounds!!! try great trails of them all over the lawn!!! And theyre territorial so one mole in one lawn, with a huge territory. Oh and forgot dug up soil between path so now pavers uneven and hazardous ! Other than that, theyre cute!
  • I agree with grumble2007.They create devestation especially on my allotment with tunnels under newly planted out seedlings. The cost and disappointment of seeing young seedlings which one has nurtured over the winter months suddenly wilt and die is sad and the cuddly little mole being the culprit is unfortunate. They are an absolute pest and have to be eradicated.
  • I also agree with Grumble2007. Having paid a small fortune to have my lawn relaid (it was ruined by chafer grubs last year), it's heartbreaking to have it destroyed by moles. Again. And paying £70 a time for a mole-killer to trap them isn't a happy option, either. P.S. I've actually picked two up when they emerged from under my compost heap. Dear little things, but oh the devastation!
  • MoleyMoley Posts: 1
    To Jackw..Reply

You need to put the soil back in the hole(tunnel) that the mole has dug out and place grass seed on the top.

A little more difficult when you have shallow tunnels all over the lawn.

A good website to look at is

www.associationofprofessionalmolecatchers.org

You can learn a lot from their links.
  • jackwjackw Posts: 1
    I have some sympathy with both viewpoints - could anyone advise what best to do with the largish holes left in the lawn after the moles have gone ?
  • Hello, Moles really dilike vibration, and since making a windmill, (the same as a childs windmill on a stick)out of tin and mounting it on a stick the moles have moved elsewhere! A solution that looks okay and is safe!. JanieT
  • RonRon Posts: 32

Surely it's a question of scale, if your garden is covered in mole tunnels then you have a good reason to get rid. If like me there's just one then it's really not the end of the world, just add it to the long list of other pests.

• boxcboxc Posts: 2

Grandmother suggested moth balls in the tunnels, and for me it worked wonders. Apparently moles don't like the smell and they move away. I certainly saw them move into empty field next door

• spear sspear s Posts: 1
    Getting rid of moles- read this:
    http://fee6cct2fe7eqbhhgwymo9v7bi.hop.clickbank.net
  • This is silly - and don't tell me I've never had moles cos I have. We are facing mass extinctions because of the ever-increasing need to feed our children. That I can understand. Killing animals so that we can grow a monoculture like grass is awful. Dig up the grass, put in some flowers, shrubs and veg. When the moles dig holes they will be less noticeable and you can use the lovely fine soil for sowing seeds in. Who needs lawns anyway?