London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
1,261 to 1,280 of 1,315 messages
24/05/2012 at 16:44
hello Monty

have you any tips of how to get rid of the sticky weeds that have invaded my garden... they have thin leaves and little white flowers and have seemed to have appeared over the last few days/weeks... I am not too sure as I have been neglecting my garden recently due to the awful weather and the fact it is a bit too much for me to tackle... I is a reasonably big garden with big privets and I have been unable to keep on top of them..If you ever want to turn a disaster garden into one of your works of art please feel free to do so ...

Janet Mcginty
25/05/2012 at 18:30

To the last 2 posters -asking Monty Don a question on this thread will not  produce an answer to your query-you need top start a new discussion.

03/07/2012 at 12:37

I have a new pear tree planted last year which has developed reddish brown spots on its leaves what are they and what treatment if any is there.

I also have just pulled my garlic for drying and storing and have found small pea sized bulbs all around the base of the garlic bulb what are they and what can I do with them.

Clive Sambrook

03/07/2012 at 14:37
clive sambrook wrote (see)

I have a new pear tree planted last year which has developed reddish brown spots on its leaves what are they and what treatment if any is there.

I also have just pulled my garlic for drying and storing and have found small pea sized bulbs all around the base of the garlic bulb what are they and what can I do with them.

Clive Sambrook

As I wrote above-you will need to start a new discussion to get a reply-Monty will not

19/10/2012 at 21:22

Hi We are avid viewers of GW and I watch in particular to take on board the invaluable hints and tips given by Monty and the lovely Carol but can you tell us what has happened to Nigel the dog? We haven't seen this little, or should I say big character for over two weeks and wondered if he is away or just resting due to bad weather?

We look forward to a "Nigel" update

Carol and Mike

19/10/2012 at 21:31

Hi carol and Mike.

There is a Nigel thread!

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/where-is-nigel/27102.html

19/10/2012 at 22:06

30/03/2013 at 10:08

Oh no. Another series with Monty Don building his utterly boaring Garden at Licence payers expense.  His garden is nothing like any one elses Garden I know and dose not reflect howweoldbuild our gardens. Unlie past presenters he wallows in self gratification of Long Meadows. If it was not for the likes of Carol or Joe the program would be a black hole in the Gardening caleda. Every time you see his garden many pounds have been spent on Greenhouse, paths and neumerous goodies. He his building his garden at our expense.

30/03/2013 at 10:13

Sorry Golfwhisky, but I have to disagree somewhat. Ultimately, aren't we all building our gardens and living our lives at someone elses expense?

30/03/2013 at 11:14

Oh no, not another moaner!

A lot of us love GW and I don't know of any country where you don't have to pay for a TV license. If you don't like the programme, THEN TURN IT OFF OR SWITCH TO ANOTHER CHANNEL!!!

30/03/2013 at 11:48
Golfwhisky wrote (see)

Oh no. Another series with Monty Don building his utterly boaring Garden at Licence payers expense.  His garden is nothing like any one elses Garden I know and dose not reflect howweoldbuild our gardens. Unlie past presenters he wallows in self gratification of Long Meadows. If it was not for the likes of Carol or Joe the program would be a black hole in the Gardening caleda. Every time you see his garden many pounds have been spent on Greenhouse, paths and neumerous goodies. He his building his garden at our expense.

There is an off switch-that is spelt SWITCH-I have yet to see a boar in his garden-must have missed that bit

30/03/2013 at 11:49
SwissSue wrote (see)

Oh no, not another moaner!

A lot of us love GW and I don't know of any country where you don't have to pay for a TV license. If you don't like the programme, THEN TURN IT OFF OR SWITCH TO ANOTHER CHANNEL!!!

Hear! Hear!

30/03/2013 at 23:01

I agree. 

Golfwhisky, if it offends you that much then just don't watch it

31/03/2013 at 10:49

We are new to Gardening in real terms and it was the likes of Alan Tichmarsh.  Carol , Joe  Etc that made us believe we could do it. They showed us in Gardens like ours and many others. Mont Don changed the format to apeal to what it seems to me the more seasoned gardener with large plots and endless pockets. OK I can switch him off but we watch the highlights of the show, carol Klien, Joe Swift. They are talking to us on our level. If we are not to be thought of as "gardeners" Then maybe we are in the minority. But speaking to a number of our friends all feel the same.

We have been watching some old Geoff Hamilton DVD's of Gardeners World. What an inspiring man. We have learned so much more from Him than from Monty Don.

So I ask. As new gardeners are we not to be considered as worthy.

31/03/2013 at 10:56

But surely it's a programme for all gardeners - if it was just for beginners what would the more experienced ones watch?  You've found something of interest in the programme - it may not be the same bits that I find interesting but it's something.  It's a pretty impossible task to please all the people all of the time in just 30 mins, but as the trailers say, hopefully there will be something in each programme to inspire you.  More detailed instruction can be found all over the web and in magazines and books.

And has been said before, Monty Don's garden is less than a quarter of the size of Geoff Hamilton's, and until recently he and his wife did all the work themselves.

31/03/2013 at 11:11
sotongeoff wrote (see)
Golfwhisky wrote (see)

There is an off switch-that is spelt SWITCH-I have yet to see a boar in his garden-must have missed that bit

Extracting the bladder water from someone less intellectually equipped, isn't very clever or funny!

31/03/2013 at 11:18
David K wrote (see)
sotongeoff wrote (see)
Golfwhisky wrote (see)

Extracting the bladder water from someone less intellectually equipped, isn't very clever or funny!

If people are old enough to come on here and right nonsense -then they have to up with comments

Dear David-class monitor as well now-go out in the sunshine and lighten up-what is your problem??

I used to like you input bit now you are becomimg boaring

31/03/2013 at 11:25

"I used to like you input bit now you are becomimg boaring"

Write out 'your input' a hundred times!    
31/03/2013 at 11:26
Yes, gardeners world is for everybody. There is no arrogance though in wanting...in addition....some more advanced information.
When the football is on dont we all enjoy seeing the very top sides playing too?
When the cookery progs are on we don't watch the experts making toast all the time.
So, when GW is on we also want to see more than just the basics all the time. gardening can be a lot more than home economics
31/03/2013 at 11:29

So now my education is in doubt. I am an engineer ,not an academic.

Thank you dovefromabove for an appreciative reply. I take on board your comments.

We do look at other places for advice. We have bought DVD of Geoff Hamilton.  Also the Small city gardener although our garden is not small. Also ground force. They all made me believe I could do it.   Maybe one day We may be in the Elite

Will have to remember to use spell checker

1,261 to 1,280 of 1,315 messages