London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
02/05/2009 at 05:11
I really like that you've figured out how to work around issues like being weeks behind the others (this was a little like me last year in my first year of gardening except I didn't realize it made any difference to be late ... I thought how great I can let everyone else do it and learn and then I'll do it ... when I feel like it ... heheh ... then everyone else was harvesting and I was rushing about before the frost hit gathering my bounty
02/05/2009 at 18:22
I must still be a 'kid' so, as I quite like the new format! Its great seeing the new garden go up from scratch and the show is a lot less staid and mouldy than it was. Good job lads, keep it up.
02/05/2009 at 19:11
I agree with other comments regarding the show,i really enjoyed Joe on his allotment,and enjoy Carols bit too,but the whats hot and whats not should be removed,who wants to listen to that,? If the team want to get children interested in gardening,they should have a juniors gardeners world,just for young viewers,because i know some children are interested in the show. I still enjoy the show it just needs a bit of tweeking.
03/05/2009 at 11:11
As a beginner at 23 years (kid or not? unsure) I'm finding the website and show very 'user' friendly. I can understand why established gardeners might be frustrated, but the previous format was very alienating for people like me. Striking a balance is a tricky thing, and I hope it is achieved soon.
04/05/2009 at 07:30
In the Autumn we took Toby's advice and buried 8 @ 8" stems of gosseberries. I thought Oh yes !!! To our amazement 5 have taken, Now what? Will the stems have rooted the entire length or just under the surface? I am loathe to disturb too earley as they have done so well so far. Potting on. How to proceed? We should be gratefil for any advice.
04/05/2009 at 11:52
Surely with a new garden and a new gardener things are bound to be a bit differant. Depending on what you like it could be for the better or the worse. In my oppinion the new show is a lot better as i am only a beginer and watching them start from the begining and helping me through every step has been very helpful! And as for those garden enthusiasts, shoudnt it be best to try and hook more people into gardening. This would not only be benifital to them to get the most out of there gardens, but allso to the country. The new dig in campain was a realy good idea and has allready sold of seeds, just showing how popular it is!
04/05/2009 at 15:04
Must admit that on balance I like the new format of GW. Monty will always be my favorite (he is an exceptional presenter and I wish him all the best). Tony, Joe, Alys and Carol come over really well as a team. Love Tonys enthusiasm & Joe's allotment section. Hate the "whats hot, whats not section" - its not Top Gear after all! They have a great oportunity to have a chat over a cup of tea in the shed - on what should/could be "a couple of jobs for the weekend or what are you up to this weekend in your own garden (Alys, Joe, Carol)" but make it totally inane instead. I liked the idea of a kid involved in the show as a one off but they went too dumb (and too much of the kid)!!!! Still a bad Gardeners World episode is better than none at all, switch off if you want in protest, but it's you who will miss out! Hopefully someone at GW watches comments and the show gets tweeked (just a little bit).
04/05/2009 at 19:21
i can't believe gardeners world was shedded! last friday for the snooker, it was a bank holiday weekend, early may, just when plants are getting into gear, and yet no programme, the show is a great tonic to get out into the garden, i'm sure they could of fit it in somewhere or even a 30 minute show....
05/05/2009 at 08:57
Just to try and keep on topic. I've already sown my parsnips and beetroot but I'm going to sow a few more in the gaps between other things. It's still a bit chilly on a night around here so there's plenty of time for parsnips yet.
05/05/2009 at 11:09
Havinh a highish cold garden in Cumbria everything is "late" here we just sow when we think the conditions are looking ok. We usually get to harvest most things without too much hassle, but we do start somethings in the greenhouse,(unheated), but often the outdoor ones have caught up with the inside sown ones by the time we get them hardened off. My motto is try it and see seeds don't grow in the packet so sow them and hope for the best even if you are a bit late. Good luck.
05/05/2009 at 11:37
I think the kids should have a place on the show as sometimes theyre regarded as just hangin about wasters so surely if people are taking the time to show these kids that there is actually something else to do then they should be applauded.
05/05/2009 at 13:03
I like the new GW although Toby can come across as a bit patronizing. Alys is nice and has a natural manner when talking to camera. As a gardener i like nothing better then seeing something come together from scratch so I'm enjoying watching the new garden take shape. As far as kids are concerned , they should be encouraged to learn about gardening and vegetable cultivation as well as wildlife and their place in the balance of nature. Kids need to understand where their food comes from, and about seasonality, something which has been sadly lost with the advent of frozen dinners and mass importation. They should be included in the program.
05/05/2009 at 19:12
I thoroughly enjoy the new gardenersworld format, and toby buckland is very inspirational and natural, with an easygoing nature. I totally agree with most comments, that the shed format is very unnecessary, and not very interesting. Better as has been said to incorporate any comments and ideas whilst outside digging or potting on. Apart from that the show is really well presented and I look forward to many more episodes as to the development and eventual finish of a very interesting site. Thank you guys for a really great show which is always looked forward to every week.
05/05/2009 at 19:31
As a 14 year old i totally agree with you when you say about kids being taught about gardening and where there food comes from but the thing that annoys me is that some parents or grandparents sometimes pressure a child into gardening (because they get so much enjoyment out of it) Whereas if you let there fasination occur naturally such as myself then they get much more satisfaction out of it and a more enjoyable experience and i absolutely hate the whats hot and whats not wall.
05/05/2009 at 21:26
Good show Ignore the moaners they'll never be pleased so don't waste you energies on them....(-:
06/05/2009 at 18:02
i agree about the less positive comments on the new format gardners world - we call the new presenter `T for Toby' in our house as he seems to fit more to children's TV than this. Not fussed on Alys presenting either - sorry! I miss Monty so much, so anybody would have taken a bit of getting used to, just not fussed on the current choice. Carol and Joe are doing a good job though!
06/05/2009 at 18:05
Am I one of the moaners lol ?
06/05/2009 at 19:06
Hey, I too am 14 years old and totally aggree with Calz.
06/05/2009 at 20:20
Lol cool (Y) =]
07/05/2009 at 15:14
Changing the subject - does anyone know why someone would put banana skins on someone else's allotment? It is being done on a regular basis, always on the patch that is being cultivated next. Is there something sinister about this and what should I do to find the person responsible?! Sensible suggestions please.
1 to 20 of 28 messages