London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
17 messages
30/12/2011 at 19:35
Moss what Moss I have more moss than lawn,You try telling Mrs Oldchippy not to cut the grass 3/4" all year round,I have had to stop her cutting it the beginning of the month, As for feeding it (why)you don't feed any plant do you,Happy New Year.
31/12/2011 at 14:03
Ah, moss! I have a strange story about moss. Not in my own garden where it grows beautifully and is allowed to but in the Bristol Botanic garden where we want it at the beginning of the evolutionary dell it being related to the first landplants that evolved, 500mya. We have collected it from nearby woods; we have planted it; we have watered it; we have concluded that a combination of circumstances are against us - large trees roots keeping it too dry: being on a hill the water drains away too quickly; drought at the wrong time of year for moss. Whatever it is, the moss will not grow for us. But we keep on trying. I get lots of moss in my garden by just leaving rotting logs in a damp place, The north facing side then grows lovely moss. with primulas seeding themselves happily in front of the log what prettier sight could you have? See photo on Forum "Plants"
31/12/2011 at 17:21
Sounds like you need to rethink the location of your evolutionary dell, happymarion!

Happy New Year to you both

Kate
31/12/2011 at 18:08
Hi Kate My daughter has just moved into a maisonette with a large Cedrus Glauca Atlantica in the garden ,under it and all round the under canopy has been bark chipped so not much will grow there,The garden is about 12 metres square she has two raised bed and three compost bins,It look's like I will also be known as Old gardener. Happy days.
31/12/2011 at 19:13
Happy New Year to you , Kate and all the magazine staff.
02/01/2012 at 11:01
Sounds like a nice project for 2012, oldchippy. If I were you I'd tell your daughter to put her feet up and then I'd get cracking!

Thanks happymarion, I will pass on your best wishes

Kate
02/01/2012 at 16:33

Hi Kate ,I have to redecoreate  inside before I get a tow in the garden,Oh and build wardrobes knock down walls install a new kitchen hang new doors you name it I have to do it, I just love daughters.That why I'm (Oldchippy)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05/01/2012 at 12:32

Ooh when you're done you can come and do mine!

Kate

05/01/2012 at 16:53

Is that Kate( Moss) Yes of course why not if you will look after the garden!!?

Best Wishes Oldchippy.

06/01/2012 at 18:09

Very good, oldchippy - Kate Moss indeed!  No moss grows on our Kate - a bit like in Evoltionary Dell really.!

06/01/2012 at 18:15

Very good, oldchippy - Kate Moss indeed!  No moss grows on GW's Kate - a bit like in Evolutionary Dell really.!

06/01/2012 at 20:04

I'm glad you saw the funny side Happymarion,I hope your dingly dell get some moss soon!!!!!!!!!!!

oldchippy.

06/01/2012 at 20:07

I'm glad you saw the funny side Happymarion,I hope your dingly dell get some moss soon!!!!!!!!!!! I think this blog will run & run.

oldchippy.

07/01/2012 at 14:32

Unfortunately Evolutionary Dell is set in stone position wise as the Botanic Garden was professionally desgned and all the adjoining sections - the Chinese Medicinal Herb Garden and the Mediterranean Bank have been developed and planted.  The weather may be kinder next year - perhaps not such a long drought in the spring - and that could help.  Science comes first in the Garden, of course, but the designing means we have a beautiful garden which pleases a great many people with different interests - quite different to the many Botanic gardens I have visited world wide.

16/10/2012 at 18:32

Hi Kate,If you would like some more moss I have plenty on my roof,Spent this morning up a ladder cleaning out the gutters,Choked up with very lovely rich sludge I will put it in my compost bin,Not bad for an old chippy.

16/10/2012 at 19:10

Happy to report the moss is growing better in Evolutionary dell this year due to the damp summer.  It's an ill downpour that does no plant any good or something!

17/10/2012 at 18:13

Happy Marion,It's good to hear you have some moss at last,There is plenty on my roof if you want to come and collect it I have a ladder you can use,Oldchippy!

email image
17 messages