London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 37 of 37 messages
14/02/2010 at 13:05
I'm with most of the others - liking different things at different times of the year. Am rather fond of the first of each genus - the 1st snowdrop, early daffs, tulips, hyacinths etc because they herald spring & lengthening/warmer days, when all the foliage seems fresh & new. I also love blossom-time on apples, pears, prunus. Then I keep buying lilies for their gloriously large flowers & knockout scent, even though I have to keep them in pots & hunt/destroy lily-beetles every day! And finally, like Dahlia lover, I enjoy growing Dahlias from seed. They don't seem to need too much help & it's always a late-colour surprise because for some reason I can only find mixed-colour packets.
14/02/2010 at 19:25
hi katie,im sorry this has nothing to do with flowers,but could you tell me if palmate newts are protected[as someone has told me today that they are...]the reason i ask is that i have them in my garden and if they are protected what should i do,they have been in my garden about 4yrs and i have 4/5 newts.i have checked on line and they are definatly palmate.
14/02/2010 at 20:41
Katie, you've really struck a chord here because like most of the readers of this blog I have no trouble tapping into what I love about the garden -- my passion for gardening is what keeps me coming back to it every year, despite the imperfections and disappointments. There's not much I don't adore about the garden, but a strongly growing climbing rose like Etoile de Holland or Gloire de Dijon, deeply scented and fanned out against a warm wall, is my ultimate garden pleasure. (I was just blogging yesterday about the fact that I've vowed to grow vegetables this year, but all I can think about now at rose pruning time is my precious climbers!) Apart from the roses, I always seem to be besotted with whatever is the flagship plant of the season that's not here yet -- dreaming of tulips in February, thinking of my flaming Virginia creeper in June, and so on. I think I could do with living in the moment a bit more! Sheila Averbuch - Stopwatch Gardener
15/02/2010 at 13:34
Thanks for all your comments. I like your point Wixy, and agree that we love different plants at different times of the year. But I still think people are more likely to express their dislikes than loves. Perhaps the list of plants we love is just too long to bother? Sarah, I'll get back to you re your newts. Kate
17/02/2010 at 22:37
most of us have a childhood memory, born in central London my Dad used to buy Mum the wonderfull smelling bunches of sweet peas,now in rural Somerset I am able to grow in abundance,and on the same track again I have acheived flowers on a mimosa growing in the conservatory the fluffy yellow bobbles in a scent just like the old days.You are never too old to try.
21/02/2010 at 11:44
i'm 29 and two years ago found out i had diabetes and learning to cope with it i stared gardening. my first plant i got was a yucca plant, its big and bold with the most stunning big flower,next fav is fuchsias.
21/02/2010 at 11:53
i’m 29 and two years ago found out i had diabetes and learning to cope with it i stared gardening. my first plant i got was a yucca plant, its big and bold with the most stunning big flower,next fav is fuchsias as they come in loads of colours and sizes.i've also been given some land from coucil to show children from schools in rossington how to grow,cook veg and with the veg will be having a bingo afternoon for over 60s the veg will be the prizes.
22/02/2010 at 14:25
I love any plants that are edible, such as nasturtium and herbs. Nettle soup is a particular favourite!!
22/02/2010 at 14:48
my favorite flowers are roses, and sweetpeas I like all flowers and shrubs, that have a fragrance.
02/03/2010 at 21:50
I love verbena ,so structured but gentle. Alliums, blue delphiniums(though cannot cope against slugs in this garden),sweet peas, geraniums so versatile, lavender , cornflower and the so easy to grow cosmos .
09/03/2010 at 10:46
Ilove planting plants in the gardan.Ilike all flowers,shrubs but not very good at keeping them alive dont think i plant the right flowers,shrubs.
28/03/2010 at 13:24
Could anyone tell me which pulmonaria was mentioned on gardners world that was a new variety that was tolerant of full sun and where I can get it.
29/03/2010 at 13:48
Just started gardening the last few years and all the time there is something new that becomes my favourite. I feel like its the first time I've opened my eyes and looked around :)
09/04/2010 at 16:27
I have a bit of wild land around a house in the Outer Hebrides in Scotland, it's not fenced in - is there anything I can plant there that wont need much looking after and which visiting sheep wont be interested in eating? Thanks ( ever hopeful)
10/04/2010 at 18:35
I have chose 4 Clematis Freckes, Ruby wedding Frangrant oberon and Armandii all evergreen they are needed on north side if garden will this slow there growth or dose anyone knows any better ones must be evergreen .
26/08/2011 at 20:30
Thanks for the helpful blog.
28/11/2011 at 18:40
My dad always planted phlox, so whenever I see and smell it I think of him. I also love good ole honeysuckle, and I absolutely adore beech trees. We had a beech wood behind the house as a child and on windy days the trunks and branches would creak. I love their horizontal branches. I think cyclamen persicum is graceful, and philadelphus smells divine.
email image
21 to 37 of 37 messages