London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 47 messages
08/05/2008 at 11:59
I have a moth orchid with no flowers, it was cheap and bottom of the pile, somebody broke the flower stem off right at the base so no nodules to cut to. Otherwise it seems to be a nice healthy plant. How can i get it to produce new flower stems?
12/05/2008 at 10:48
Jobi, just follow my advice in the blog above. I keep all my moth orchids on a north-facing windowsill out of direct sun, but in good light. About once or twice a week, fill your kitchen sink with water, then dunk the whole pot and roots under water for a good 10 minutes. Remove, stand on the side to drain, and put back on your windowsill.

Isi, just be patient and look after your plant as described, and you should find a new flower spike developing within a few months. On average I've found my orchids produce about two new spikes a year, so you should get one within 6 months.

12/05/2008 at 17:32
For anyone looking for tips on caring for orchids, here is a great video clip from Sarah Raven on caring for orchids. Kate
16/06/2008 at 22:05
So sorry to hear of your little hiccup - we miss you and your easy, friendly, in-the-room-with-you style. Get well soon, bud... you're probably fine already, you leadswinger!!!! Take it easy, Geoff
23/06/2008 at 19:13
oh my goodness, i love orchids! i thought mine had died but i was determined not to throw away. i cut it back but not enough i dont think. i only cut about 5 inch from the stem so not right down to the leaves. it looks like its starting to grow again but the problem is it appears like leaves rather than flowers which are growing very high up now! did i not cut it far enough down? help me
18/08/2008 at 12:37
I Thank you Adam for this Article i enjoyed reading it and found it inspiring, i too absolutely Adore Moth-(Phalaenopsis)Orchids if i could i'd fill my whole house from top to bottom with them and look at them all day, there such a perfect pretty and vibrant coulored flower, and i like the way the whole plant is formed the roots leafs and flowers.
28/11/2008 at 09:01
I have just been given a moth orchid. On looking them up, it seems to say they don't need watering, but the blog contradicts this. Also there are aerial roots waving about, above the surface of the plant. Should I spray these, or bury them, or what? Help1
15/01/2009 at 08:50
can you help? i'm new to keeping orchids butthe bark in which my orchid lives has begun to grow a mould type fungus do you know what causes this and what i can do about it ?
17/01/2009 at 12:01
Hi, I got an orchid late September 2008 and don't know a great deal about their flowering patterns. The flowers are dropping off and the stalks are also dying, is that a normal cycle? Will they flower again? Should I cut the stalks right back to the stems, so that only the stems remain? What would you recommend?
17/01/2009 at 12:12
Also, additional info for my post above, I think my orchid's a Phalaenopsis Orchid.
20/01/2009 at 13:59
Yes Katherine. My Moth Orchids all flower repeatedly about twice a year, with flower spikes producing lovely blooms for several months. Once the last flower has fallen, follow the flower stalk back to its base. On the stem you should notice small scales, amd you should cut back to just above these. New flower stems usually develop from this point. There's no problem in cutting old flower stalks right away at their base, but you may have to wait a few months before a new one develops from among the leaves.
15/02/2009 at 22:21
i have bought a orchid assorted so the label says it tells me to throw the plant away after its finished flowering is this right? can i do anything to make it flower again my wife really likes it please help.
16/02/2009 at 12:42
Reply to novistony. This advice does not sound correct. Clearly this non-specific plant labels are always misleading, as they simply allow the grower to use the same label for all their orchids. Wouldn't it have been more helpful to actually use a label that included the real name of your orchid as well as full cultural information. Without knowing what type of orchid you actually have I can't offer specific information, so check on the internet. Perhaps it is a phalaenopsis, or Moth Orchid, in which case I've kept one going on my windowsill for at least 6 years, and it has flowered every year.
14/03/2009 at 16:00
I would like to grow an orchid in a hanging basket in my bathroom but can't seem to find any information or any for sale although I have researched on the internet. Is it possible to plant up a phalaenopsis in a basket and rather than supporting the blooms in an upright fashion allow them to hand down?
14/03/2009 at 19:11
Oops - that should have been 'hang' down.
17/03/2009 at 11:06
Yes Georgina, I'm sure you could develop something like this. Firstly, remember that moth orchids grow in a very open bark-based compost. Plants you buy are usually (though not always) grown in a clear plastic pot that allows light to reach their roots. If planting into a small basket then do use an orchid compost and NOT normal potting compost. Flower stems will find their own space. Commercial growers tend to train and fix them to upright canes, but if you just leave them to form they tend to bend towards the light, moving sideways, and hanging more as flowers develop. Let us all know how you get on.
10/04/2009 at 18:15
I love orchids the flowers of the phalaenopsis are just great thy are just like wax I would like to have a green house full of them if I could aford it.
30/05/2009 at 11:17
Have alarge commercial Cimbidium which is in need of dividing, how do I go about doing it.
12/07/2009 at 23:07
I always thought that orcids had to be sprayed lightly each day with a fine mist, but no-one mentions this. I am scared that if I don't get the watering and light-position right, then my moth orchid will die. Are they quite tough, then?
16/07/2009 at 17:40
My white moth orchid, Ghost Town, seems to be very tough, and just keeps on flowering. I bought it in the Spring and keep it on my east-facing kitchen windowsill. It's beautiful!
21 to 40 of 47 messages