Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Moth orchid

I love all your work its amazing. Me and my friends love you so much we made fan club.

• I really enjoyed this article. It could have been me who wrote it! I feel entirely the same way. Orchids are beautiful and great value for money.
  • Over recent years I have collected about 19 Orchids of different types. Some have been bought for me as presents, but mostly I buy them from my local garden centre when they are reduced! They give me much pleasure, but I too am running out of space! I stand mine in an old dish once a fortnight with 2 pints of room temperature rain water for about 1 hour with a little feed added. Liked the article on Orchids in a recent magazine.
  • I also thoroughly agree with your comments and have had orchids in flower for five months. With so little maintenance required and such vibrant colours, they make an ideal gift for somebody less able to be continually watering etc.
  • WOW, nice to think that others enjoy this magnificent plant. I was given one the year before last at my sisters wedding and it has not stopped flowering since. Only two weeks between flowering and then they last for what seems ages.
    Any advice on Propagating Moth Orchids. Robbie
  • Moth orchids aren't easy to propagate Robbie. The commercial nurseries use a tissue culture technique to raise thousands of identical plants, but amateurs can't do this. On one occasion, when I trimmed back a faded flower spike to a nodule on the stem a new stalk developed with a complete plant at its tip, with roots and leaves. When quite large I cut this off and potted it up. So, you can gets new plants for free, even from orchids.
  • I am addicted to orchids they are the most beautiful plants don't you agree. The first time I got interested in plants was when my aunt got me an Orchid for a present now I can't stop admiring them and getting another unique one every time I catch my eye on a nice one.

Are there any other plants you can recommend for me? Thanks Adam, Jakie

• I love Orchids, I think they are the most magnificent plants. I love the one in your picture how many have you got?
  • I was given a Cymbidium Orchid for christmas the flower has died and I cut it off. The plant seems too big for the pot can I split it if so when and how. Appreciate any advice. Valerie
  • Me too. I've run out of window sill space. Orchids are such a good investment.
  • My comment is really not wheather to dig or not, but a question to you expert allotment holders. I cover my allotment for the winter in late autumn with a very large weed-control fleece. This is lovely in the spring as when it's time to dig, I find that there are no weeds to dig or pull out. While this is good for me, my husband on the other hand says that I am depriving the soil of all nutrients and that the worms will not want to churn it up. Someone out there must know. I wait in anticipation!