London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
21 to 40 of 40 messages
27/05/2011 at 21:21
ok i will destroy them.... is everyone looking forward to springwatch?????????
28/05/2011 at 14:29
Any idea why my white lilies have come up this year as red ones? All of them!
29/05/2011 at 00:56
Very interesting thread, I currently have two bumble bee nests in my garden. I was really worried about one which was in an old nesting box and a bit close to my daughter's swing. I was going to get them moved but having now observed them for several weeks they are very calm and have shown no sign of being aggressive so for the time being they can stay and enjoy all the plants which I (like many others) planted to attract them in the first place!!! http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/ Higgy
29/05/2011 at 21:24
what a nice blog site. i have only just come across it.i have blue tits nesting in a bird box made by a plot holder next to me earley on this year.i would love to have some bees nasting there. any one have any idear how i could attract them or to build a nesting place for them. regards colin. email fit grandad @ hotmail .com
31/05/2011 at 20:45
I have just unearthed a nest and it's location is inconveinient to say the least, as I need to do some construction work in the area. I fear that I have done irrepairble harm to the nest correction know I have. There are a large number of earth bees present including at least drones and workers not sure about the queen. What can I do which at least gives some chance of survival and encourages the queen to nest elsewhere? They are currently working very hard to rebuild the nest but it is now exposed although I have placed a board over it for some protection
15/06/2011 at 09:45
I have an earth bee/mining bee nest just where I'm about to build a wall, I dont want to kill them but need the wall up soon. I've been keeping the area wet as earth bees like it dry, so I'm hoping this will encourage them to move on. There nests are all over the garden and next door has bumble bees nest in his nesting box. Must bee ideal for them round here. ! my blog http://welcometovoluntarysimplicity.wordpress.com/
18/06/2011 at 15:59
Hi Kate, I couldn't agree more with giving bees a better chance of survival in our own gardens. I have insect hotels amongst my flower beds and perennials and they love it! Check out the bee article on my blog if you have a moment! http://www.benlannoy.com/blog/
19/06/2011 at 17:37
I have what would appear to be a bumble bee nest in the air vent to my kitchen. I don't want to harm them but hope they will not return to this vent next year. Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated. I am 88 and have only found two in the kitchen and have managed to let them back out into the garden. Many thanks.
24/06/2011 at 13:36
Ken Parish - did you put the nest in a box? If the queen was unharmed, she and the worked would be able to rebuild the nest easily enough. Janet of Edinburgh - they are unlikely to return next year. Are you able to block the vent after they have departed this year (around autumn) to prevent them nesting there again? Kate
02/07/2011 at 14:55
We are clearing earth for a larger shed and have dug into a series of tunnels from which red red-tailed bumble bees are emerging. Do we have to wait until autumn or should we keep digging?
18/08/2011 at 14:23
Janet of Edinburgh - Bumble bee nests are active for only a season. Once they leave, you can cover the opening to your vent with a fine plastic or metal mesh to keep other insects from going there in the future. Be sure you do have bumble bees. The ones we see usually are ground nesters. http://www.PestControlSeattle.co
21/08/2011 at 12:05
Thank you PC seatle. I have a healthy hive or nest in the middle of my compost bin. I have been Jaming this week and have put the stones and Jam waste in for them. They are having a ball. I have been worried though how I could rehouse them in winter so I can empty my Compost Bins. Do they come back in Spring? If so how can I preserve the hive/nest? Please can some one help.
28/11/2011 at 18:43
If you have stinging insects around, it is a good idea to keep a bottle of vinegar handy. Bees have caustic venom neutralised by acid vinegar. Wasps have acid venom and we were told to use wet tea-bags. If you are not sure, dribble a drop of vinegar on the sting area. There should be an immediate cooling effect. From personal experience I know the vinegar works. I m also told that large containers of vinegar are routinely kept on beaches to neutralise jelly-fish stings.
15/05/2014 at 15:48
Bumblebees are a big problem for us. Because client call us to get rid of them and they do not understand that bumblebees are actually sweet things.

I would really love to have some of your feedback on this issue

1)bumblebees are not protected. I feel it is a lack from our legislation

2)whenever the nest is not pausing a direct health and safety risk to tenant or workman, we plainly walk away and tell tenant to leave them

3) the issue I am having is what to say when the nest is in the fabric of the building, and that we can't get to it

4)when it come to moving a nest as part of a commercial activity what to charge the clients.

It is sad to say but killing a nest is quick and cheap. Moving a nest is more labour intensive and time consuming, and more importantly would often cause delays for other trades.

I am just unsure, how much commitment we can expect from the general public.

if at least they would be protected, it would be easier to justify.

Thx

D
http://www.inoculand.co.uk
15/05/2014 at 15:56

Bumble bees in the fabric of a building are likely to be Tree Bees  http://bumblebeeconservation.org/images/uploads/Bee_Craft_May_2013,_Bombus_hypnorum.pdf 

they're beneficial insects, not aggressive unless disturbed and the nest will die out in the autumn - no one need do anything about them other than leave well alone.

22/05/2014 at 00:02
Hi I'm looking for some advice I have a bumblebees nest under the ground in my garden and had a bee keeper round today to confirm this. I have just moved in to the property and when cleaning the garden my dad dug in to the nest (not knowing what was under the ground) he got stung and has an an allergy to bee stings which was past along to myself and I worry for my 2 boys age 2 and 4 which are very interested to the nest in the ground and keep going over to it. I have blocked it of but would rather move it due to any accidents that may happen. As my boys do keep dropping thing down by there nest. I don't want to harm or upset them would love to move them on to a settled home but can't move them myself. I have been past to pest control but like I said want them in a good home. I can't leave then due to my allergy and not knowing if my sons could react to them. Would really appreciate some advice thank you.
22/05/2014 at 07:34

Hi Mercedes 

Yes, I can see why you want this nest moved - there is information here about how to do it http://bumblebeeconservation.org/about-bees/faqs/moving-bumblebee-nests/ 

would the beekeeper who visited you be willing to move the nest?

If not, I would suggest that you contact your local Wildlife Trust  http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/your-local-trust  and see if they have someone who would help you - perhaps for a donation 

Good luck.  

22/05/2014 at 08:51

Your local swarm liaison may be prepared to move the nest for a small fee. Look at the BBKA website, find the swarm section at the bottom of the page and enter your postcode. A list of volunteers should come up.  

22/05/2014 at 09:21

bee keepers will only deal with honey bees not bumble bees, they will give advice which will be along the lines of leave it alone (the only reason your father was stung was he dug into the nest, if someone did that to my house id be pretty annoyed too!)

if you are allergic to bee stings it will be only honey bee stings most likely. Different chemicals in the sting apparently (someone out there might confirm otherwise)

moving bumble bee nests can be time consuming and if you get someone to do it for you expensive, and there is a chance it will kill the colony anyway, best bet, educate your boys to stay away or build a barrier they cant get thru and leave it alone, the nest will die in winter anyway.

22/05/2014 at 09:43

Yes, I think that is good advice from treehugger- I found a nest under a shed I collapsed and I constructed a kennel over the top with an entrance in the same direction as the bees were flying in. This was to protect it from the elements mainly. Same as treehugger says, they'll be gone by autumn...

email image
21 to 40 of 40 messages