London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
14 messages
05/06/2008 at 15:41
I agree with the idea of mulching with compost. Can you tell me which compost would be suitable for acid loving plants? Thanks Tracy
06/06/2008 at 00:09
You say you have used mushroom compost, have you ever used spent mushroom compost, is there any disadvantages or words of caution i should know before taking delivery of a fresh load many thanks for any help :-d
06/06/2008 at 16:38
When should you apply mulch??
06/06/2008 at 17:30
I use compost mulch, and this year have tried laying down the cut stems of bolted spinach on a strip of empty ground, to try to keep weed seedlings down. Have also tried (SSH!) tap-rooted perennial weeds that haven't set seed. Is this likely to do any harm? Thought it worth a try.
06/06/2008 at 19:48
Spent mushroom compost is lovely stuff, but during the composting process lime is added, so never use it around acid-loving (ericaceous) plants.

Tracy, for mulching acid-loving plants I'd probably choose a composted bark product rather than a normal peat-free potting compost. I believe this will help lower the soil pH and make it slightly more acid .... perfect for camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas, pieris, magnolias, heathers, gaultheria, and many others.

06/06/2008 at 23:25
Tracy, I believe ericaceous compost is good for acid loving plants, but have no idea how you make it.
08/06/2008 at 16:15
I have had a compost bin at the bottom of my garden for years i keep adding stuff to it and have only recently starting to see it all rot down but their seems to be more water in it than anything what am i doing wrong its an old black plastic bin with a lid on help me please some one
08/06/2008 at 18:14
Home composting is so easy and costs nothing. I leave mine to 'slow burn' that is i dont add any accelerators to speed up the process. I rarely turn the mix and yet still get good quality compost for mulching. I use two bins and a general 'pile' in the corner. fresh clippings go on the pile for a few months before transfering to one of the bins. Thats it..give it a go
11/06/2008 at 18:01
I have moved house with an established garden (about 14yrs old. I'd love not to dig, but have discovered that there are no worms in the garden (plenty of slugs and snails though. How can I introduce them?
25/06/2008 at 22:43
I am looking for different ways to discourage cats from raking up my circular rose garden; my latest idea of thick wood chips hasn't worked so would like to know if a thickish layer of large pebbles or slate would be suitable to surround the roses leaving a small area surrounding the rose to feed and water. Would the roses appreciate this?
02/07/2008 at 19:29
Hiya,My front garden is all covered with purply-grey slate chippings, and I certainly don't get any cats digging this up. When I was unable to get a matching colour for an adjacent bed, I bought from B&Q some chopped up old tyres. These are the same colour, look like slate chips, but are of course much lighter weight. It stated on the bag that it repels cats. This isn't exactly true, as our neighbours'one likes to sleep under my conifers in the shade ontop of these chippings. However, there is no digging or pooing going on, so maybe they work after all! I posted a message to another gardener who has trouble with foxes and said that you can buy lion poo on the internet from the zoo. This is a natural deterrant and might be worth a try. Lastly, my mum always used to say that my Grandma swore by using dried holly leaves as an anti-cat mulch, as of course they would be uncomfortable to the moggies. As a girl-guide I remember that all holly trees keep a huge supply of old leaves underneath them, very useful for starting camp fires!
28/11/2011 at 18:36
I am very new to making my own compost and i would love to hear from other gardners with tips and comments on ways to master the perfect brown stuff!!
05/04/2013 at 15:34
If I bought a load of spent Mushroom compost from a Mushroom grower, would I have to compost the stuff before digging it in to my Borders. I have over the years dug in a substantial amount of Peat free compost but the soil drys out very quickly and resembles Prairie dust.
05/04/2013 at 15:52

Try searchin "back to eden" on youtube.

That should resolve your dry soil issue, just remember, its a mulch, do not digg it in.

Hope that helps

email image
14 messages