London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
16 messages
07/05/2009 at 20:05
the Malvern Spring Show every year I wish I could go but hay! ho! going to miss it again. naver mind, I'll watch it on the TV again, I hope. glad your garden is doing fine.
08/05/2009 at 00:03
Hi I wonder if anyone can help me - I have a pampas grass and would like some advice on how to get rid of it as I have found out that I'm allergic to it
08/05/2009 at 20:40
I do love your photographs! thank you for taking and sharing them all
09/05/2009 at 11:22
Carolyn - i had the same trouble some years ago. People used to burn the middle of the plant but it still regenerates so I got rid of mine by cutting it down hard and putting glyphosate solution on the new shoots, then digging it out piece by piece. It was hard. I love alliums, and have many. One of the easiest and fragrant and flowering now is Allium Neapolitanum. Allium triquetrum has naturalised and not to be recommended unless you have acres of room away from common ground. Leaving leeks to seed gives you glorious big blue heads and free leeks the following year. The yellow alliums are favourites of mine as well and all alliums keep aphids away from rose bushes.
10/05/2009 at 10:12
Help & advice please....4 years ago I planted 2 lilac bushes in different parts of my garden, for 2 years I had a lovely display from both and they appeared to be flourishing, but last year on both bushes part did'nt produce foliage, during the late Autumn I trim back the "dead" section, this year both appear to have died. Both, although a good distance away from, but are situated directly underneath the canopy of huge Yew trees, could these have contributed to my poor lilacs demise.
11/05/2009 at 21:43
hi wonder if anyone can help i have a house plant but dont know what it is it has leaves like a dandilion and the flower like a daisy please help.
12/05/2009 at 17:46
Can anyone help? I have a very large flowering cherry tree in our garden (moved in three years ago) and it has blossomed fantastically. However, it was in bud and just about to go when the whole thing came to a full stop. The buds didn't open and there are no leaves. It happened in a couple of days, but we didn't have any freak weather. Anyone any ideas?
18/05/2009 at 17:09
alliums looking great planted in soil i planted some in pots not to good
21/05/2009 at 19:45
does anyone else feel as strongly about sky tv's drop of the gardening channel as of May 18.are they so out of touch no coverage of Chelsea but whot is worse is that this was a great sourse of imformatin.equaly a way of helping our children gain a better understanding if so write to sky customer relations
02/06/2009 at 22:15
Just as we're being encouraged by the Dig In campaign to grow our own veg, Sky decide to take off the UKTV garden channel and dilute it into the new channel 'Really'. Apart from being the most inappropriate name, it's bad timing makes you wonder whether those who make these decisions actually want to see it fail. We used to love Saturday mornings watching UKTV gardens and planning the rest of our weekend, having been inspired by them. Well done Sky (not)....
09/06/2009 at 16:30
I have 2 nectaroscordum siculum and they have been lovely for the last 2 years the bees can't wait for them to open and they last for ages but I have no luck growing allium I have the purple ball ones but the heads just wither at the neck and drop over.
13/06/2009 at 15:30
my alliums flowered great but i now need the pots how do i store them till next spring
16/06/2009 at 16:18
hi whats all this i.m.v.u on gw
17/06/2009 at 09:35
Jimmy: Wait for the foliage to wither then dig them up and store them somewhere dry until the Autumn.
26/11/2010 at 13:17
Yes but lovable if you do not mind having your garden taken over. The bulbs pull themselves down into the ground with time to surprising depths.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
I love alliums too but I never seem to have any success with them. I plant the bulbs and only a few of them actually grow; those that grow are poor and spindly and never last to the second year. Maybe it's my soil or the way I look at them?
email image
16 messages