London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
3 messages
31/10/2008 at 14:41
Hi Adam I have a lovely container of Nerines in full bloom at the moment. The container is wide but shallow. The bulbs were given to me many years ago, so I don't know exactly what variety they are. I did split the bulbs up a cuple of years ago and now have several in smaller pots which have not done as well a the larger container. I am thinking of planting these out, in my sandy south garden. Will they take years to establish in the ground before they flower? Or should I just put them together again in another large pot?
05/11/2008 at 12:00
Yes, I do have pots of Nerine sarniensis, Lorrie. These aren't said to be as hardy as N. bowdenii, but have been fine in terracotta pots in my unheated greenhouse. I think they'd be do even better if you can keep your greenhouse slightly warmer as you say. And E-J, as you don't know what variety of Nerine you have I'd be cautious about planting them out, and would prefer keeping them in a large pot. The bulbs slowly multiply to get ever more congested, but congested bulbs like these appear to flower well. I'd suggest potting into a loam-based compost with extra grit added, as this will keep the bulbs going for several years.
28/11/2011 at 18:37
Hi Adam, I've got a pot of Nerine Bowdenii in flower in the garden at the moment, it's always lovely to see them coming into flower when all else is finishing. I was at Wisley earlier this month and bought four different bulbs of Nerine Sarniensis which I plan to plant together in one pot and keep in the greenhouse. Have you ever grown these? Will they be OK in my greenhouse which I try to keep to a minimum of 10 degrees through the winter? Lorrie
email image
3 messages