London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
13 messages
15/04/2013 at 20:11
Nice to have you back.The bird's have been picking up all the dog's fur for two week's now,We had a crow pick up more than was good for it as it just managed to get over the fence with a beak full,so much so it couldn't see where it was going,Oldchippy.
15/04/2013 at 20:15

A friend in North Wales has two pairs of robins nesting in adjoining disused outside loos!

The males have been scrapping with each other a bit at the bird table, so she is setting up another feeding station to try to keep them apart and avoid bloodshed!

Does anyone else have experience of two pairs of robins nesting so close to each other?

15/04/2013 at 22:00

Not of nesting, but last year there were 3 differant robins in the garden

16/04/2013 at 19:06
Was robin in garden poorly? Sitting in flowerbed with beak full of worms. As he did not move I stroked his wing, he then hopped away. Later I was going out in the car and he was on the drive, again with a beak full of worms I had to get out of the car to make him ove away.
20/04/2013 at 13:46
Lovely to hear your spring bird-nesting stories! Not sure about your robin, Florrie bunda. But if it's got a beak full of worms it's well enough to find its own food. Perhaps it's been 'tamed' by one of your neighbours?
21/04/2013 at 16:20
I have 2 robin families, one near the house & the other at the bottom of the garden. The ones by the house are very friendly and make sure I keep up a regular supply of food at the Leylandi Restaurant by telling me off, (I suspect they slag me off on Twitter).
I know, all my family & friends think I`m pathetic!!!
22/04/2013 at 16:36
made a new bird box this morning,had visitor's already.
22/04/2013 at 17:48

great stories I puyt up anew birdbox 6 weeks ago and two bluetits have been interested since.  They both appear to be pecking the entrance hole mayb to enlarge it and they haven't nested yet.  What's wrong should i make the hole bigger ?

22/04/2013 at 18:09
budlia63 wrote (see)

great stories I puyt up anew birdbox 6 weeks ago and two bluetits have been interested since.  They both appear to be pecking the entrance hole mayb to enlarge it and they haven't nested yet.  What's wrong should i make the hole bigger ?

Someone else mentioned something similar on another thread, although I can't remember which one. You would think the holes on boxes would have a minimum size suitable for blue tits wouldn't you? They're amongst the smallest birds after all. Perhaps yours have been eating too much adn are too fat to get in! 

Seriously-could they be trying to roughen it in order to get a better grip when they land before going in?

22/04/2013 at 19:46

Great fairygirl I'll stop sanding it down now!!

22/04/2013 at 20:58

i was watching a robin a few weeks ago bring nesting material into my garage, then i saw no further activity and thought that was that. but this evening i looked into nest-3 eggs and robin. i hope i havent disturbed them too much, i wont go near it again. 

22/04/2013 at 21:55

I've a feeling the bluetits just have to do a bit of finessing - you know, just to make it feel like home - that's why they adjust the entrance hole 

26/04/2013 at 09:09
Thats lovely, how can you tell the male and female robins apart, does anyone know ?
email image
13 messages