London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
11 messages
05/06/2014 at 19:38
Kate you are a romantic softie. who else would love caterpillars.
05/06/2014 at 19:40

A clump of nettles in a pot so they don't spread is ideal for any wildlife friendly garden.......easy enough if you don't let them seed.........highly recommmended

05/06/2014 at 19:41

the righrt ones are worth looking after - they give us the most beautiful butterflies

I have many butterfly friendly plants in the garden - just as important aas looking after the birds

05/06/2014 at 19:52
Lovely story, well done to you!
07/06/2014 at 09:13
Re gardening grannies point about looking after butterflies (& I take it insects generally) as well as birds.
I am thinking that feeding birds all year round will encourage a larger population of birds than my - and my neighbours' - gardens will naturally support. This larger population will also impact insects and caterpillars more by feeding on them!
Therefore I'm considering reducing or stopping feeding the birds - in the summer at least - so they don't overbreed and eat all the caterpillars, etc!
I have plenty of grasses with seed as well as any in the feeders
04/07/2014 at 09:32
About two years ago I was 'babysitting' two of my grand-daughters. I use the term lightly as they were about 13 and 17! However, I too, collected some caterpillars and put them in a big plastic tub, with the leaves they were on, and topped up regularly with the same. A short while later they turned into fully fledged butterflies, and I have some wonderful photo's of brand new ones on the girls' fingers, sun shining on them, and the new butterflies flying off to enjoy their new lives. It was a fascinating study, with the girls even getting up early every day to see if any more had hatched, no mean feat for two teenagers!!
I would recommend this project to anyone, with or without children!!
04/07/2014 at 09:57
  1. I would love to see your photos she'll 53  any chance of putting them on here.I'm sure others would too.
  2.  don't know what ive done to get these numbers on ,can't seem to delete them either !  This Kindle has a mind of its own!¡!

Edd
04/07/2014 at 10:49

Luck3 you have hit the button next to the smiley icon and it has given you a bullet list. hit it again and it should go off.

04/07/2014 at 11:17

There is a massive swarm of black caterpillars just outside where ~I work. I will have to get a photo and find out what they are. I also saw a slug munching away on a poppy i'd not long planted.. But I didnt have the heart to stop it! after all its just a little thing trying to get by like me! Probably too much of a softie for my own good...

Edd
04/07/2014 at 11:25

Its a Army of caterpillars Thomas. Please do take a photo. I look forward to it.

I will take a guess at Peacock Butterfly caterpillars or small tortoiseshell caterpillar at the moment.

04/07/2014 at 11:50
Ive seen that too Thomas, u did take a pic, but cant post from my phone! There were so many they looked like nettle flowers dangling down (they were on nettles) amazing thing to see!
I also leave the slugs etc, good job Thomas!
email image
11 messages