London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
19/01/2011 at 16:40
I had great crested newts in our ponds, at home, when i was young and also many at my last horticultural job, amongst the containers etc, in the greenhouses!! They help to make the garden live xx
19/01/2011 at 23:46
Now I'm really worried! - I have Newts in my small garden pond and because the pond was in need of a serious tidy up I went to great lengths to find the right time for doing this job. Researching on the appropriate web sites the general consensus was, that the Newts leave the pond to hibernate under stones and logs at the end of August to September. They spend the the winter there and then emerge once again in February - March for the breeding season in April - May. Hope I haven't destroyed my little Newt colony :(
20/01/2011 at 19:49
i have newts in my pond to [palmate newts],there have been coming to my pond now for about 5yrs or so,although not yet breed.....many years ago [before my house was built] there were great crested newts in the local pond so i have been praying each year that 1 day they will be back [sadly i dont think so],the nearest great crested newts in my area are about 12/15miles away so i guess to far for them to walk.
21/01/2011 at 16:16
hi, we got newts in are pond i see them evry year we moved in 6 years ago it was so nice to see them in the pond
22/01/2011 at 16:03
HELLO I AM LUCKY TO HAVE TWO PONDS AND ALTHOUGH I HAVE FISH IN BOTH OF THEM I ALSO GET NEWTS FROGS AND SOME TIMES THE GRASS SNAKES COME FOR A SWIM AND A BITE TO EAT .THEY ALSO COME WHEN THEY SHED THERE SKINS .
25/01/2011 at 20:17
when is the best time to clear all the leafs from my pond... i have palmate newts in my pond too,lovely little fellas......
29/01/2011 at 13:09
I have just made a wildlife pond in our garden and hopefully newts will find their way to it, lovely little creatures!
29/01/2011 at 14:46
i see the bbc has behaved shabbily again sacking toby from gardeners world. have they learned nothing from countryfile,and as for bringing rachel de thame back its a disgrace,in my opinion she knows nothing about gardening.she must be shagging someone at the top!
30/01/2011 at 21:50
why would they sack Toby??? he is so approachable, inspiring, and he brings such a warmth to gardener's world. that is sad news. he made me want to get out in my garden immediately, and do some good stuff. he also reflected all the best qualities of the BBC, with none of the worst.
10/04/2011 at 21:12
Yippeee! See my posting of the 19th January! I am thrilled to report that having given my small 200 gallon pond a serious cleanout in October last year that I have seen at least 2 large Newts this last couple of weeks. In future I feel happy at leaving pond maintenance until after September knowing that the Newts are safely out the pond.
11/04/2011 at 07:15
Reply to Hazelnut21. Congratulations. You were right of course, newts usually leave the pond to overwinter under logs and stones. I've just been watching the newts in my pond, and will be blogging about them again this week.
16/04/2011 at 09:32
question, Are all newts protected or is it just the great crested newt
25/04/2011 at 20:01
Reply to Clive Smooth and palmate are protected in that they may not be traded or sold. Great crested must not be killed, disturbed or even captured.
23/05/2011 at 13:52
If the landlord asks i will say their are newts in the ponds,hopefully they will not make me fill them in. I have newts but i can not tell the difference.I did se a plain one and a black one with orange and black spots on belly. thanks Richard
13/07/2011 at 20:20
Are these newts or lizards? 5 small reddish brown in damp earth under stone garden ornament and under plastic planter saucer with water in it for passing wildlife. Both in area of garden with rockery and plant cover. If newts why weren't they in the saucer of water rather than under? If lizards I've never seen them basking on the stones.
08/10/2011 at 13:52
It's mid October in North East Scotland. While removing an old stone wall in our woodside garden, we uncovered a 'nest' of about 50 newts, ranging in size from 2cms youngsters to 13cms adults. There is no pond nearby,the burn and loch are half a mile away. If newts breed in water, how did this large group happen to get together? Judging by their orange underside, I imagine they are Smooth.
10/10/2011 at 11:33
Reply to Pumble Half a mile is a fair way for newts to crawl. I suspect there is a temporary pool, hollow, rut or ditch somewhere nearer. If there are adults and young, they are obviously breeding close by.
08/11/2011 at 19:58
just found a 2 inch long reptile under large stones hibernating. mid brown with an orange stripe the length of its back. felt smooth. what is it anyone ??
15/11/2011 at 13:41
Reply to SRG Probably a hibernating newt. Put it back in a dry sheltered place and it will make its own way back to a pond to breed when it is ready.
28/11/2011 at 18:42
i forgot to say i sure my newts are palmate as they have an orange strip under there belly...and there face shape is a little differant.
1 to 20 of 22 messages