London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 34 messages
11/03/2009 at 19:56
hiya im newish to gardening trying to pick up a few tips along the way by watching gardening progroms and picking at your experts brains, ive been working on my mother in laws garden and unlike your nieghbours friendly newt all i seemed to find is buried tins and rats i was relaying her patio and found loads of rats and rat runs under there and in the rose corner . will they cause havoc on the roots of the rose bushes or will they be ok ,and is there a way i can keep them out of her garden without putting out poison,traps or using these ultrasonic deterants as she hasnt the funds for a outside power point , all i can think about is putting low down barbed wire and hiding it by growing clematis up it but i dont think thats very granchild friendly ha ha ha.
12/03/2009 at 19:34
The Great Crested Newt. It's the most powerful creature in the UK, it can stop new roads, new homes, new airport runways being built and even get on television if one is killed. ;)
12/03/2009 at 23:01
and people who live in areas where Great Crested Newts are found often overlook how they've disappeared from so many other areas!
13/03/2009 at 03:06
I am fairly lucky as I live in an area that has many streams ,but then they built the dreaded Motor way and ruined the prospective homes for frogs and newts, but we do still have a few callers even so and slow worms frequent the garden and hide under whatever they can find, as for rats and this is for Michael you must get rid of them they are vermin germs abound and if you have a pond they will eat your fish and pollute the water, don't leave any food adound if you feed the birds take anything in at night, and hang feeders on metal poles and grease the pole so the rat can't climb it as it surely will.
13/03/2009 at 13:35
It amazed me how newts appeared in my garden pond in my last home. It had only been filled and planted for about two weeks when I wandered out to have a look and got really excited to see two. I later found out that the builder next door had rescued some from a customer's swimming pool, put them in his pond and they presumably came under the fence and into mine. The population seemed to explode. I found baby ones under rocks and adults in bags of compost I'd been using. I found the best way to see them was to go out at night and direct a torch into the water. Once question..I had lots of frogs until the newts arrived, and then lots of newts but no frogs. I know that newts eat tadpoles, but would they eat that many?
13/03/2009 at 15:34
To Es... i guess you must be unlucky, we seem to have the whole gamit of wildlife in our ponds, and we didn't introduce any! they just arrived. Toads, Newts,frogs, Slow Worm and Grass Snake, they all seem to get on and co habit, i'm sure there is a bit of cross cultural eating going on, but it seems to balance itself out!!! Actually everything seems to eat tadpoles, even blackbirds.
13/03/2009 at 21:02
A Great Crested Newt for Prime Minister is what I say... Problems solved... No new roads, no new homes, no new airports, no jobs. Still, as long as the Amphibians are happy. ;)
14/03/2009 at 15:14
HI COULD SOMEONE TELL ME IF NEWTS THAT WERE IN MY SMALL POND LAST YEAR COME BACK THIS YEAR AND BREED? ALSO FOR SOME STRANGE REASON I HAVE HAD NO FROGSPAWN THIS YEAR,NORMALLY THERE IS LOADS IN MY POND BY NOW.
14/03/2009 at 20:34
Reply to Michael. Rats, as far as I know don't do much damage to plants in the garden, but they are unpleasant visitors and carriers of disease. Barbed wire won't stop them. Stop feeding the birds, clear out the compost bins, and remove any other possible food sources. If you have an infestation, call in professional help. Good luck.
14/03/2009 at 20:42
Reply to Es and sarahs pond life Newts have a reputation for feeding on other tadpoles, but then they will all eat each other given the chance. A large pond, with enough variation in depth, marginal undulations and aquatic plants should be able to accommodate many different amphibian species. These vary year on year, so absence of frogs (and spawn) might be down to predation, or just a poor return from previous inhabitants. I've just been out in the garden and there are four newts back in our pond. It is raised, made out of old railway sleepers, three high, so they have had to climb to get back in. Like frogs and toads they do return to the pools of their births, but because they are more shy and secretive, they are rarely seen in large numbers. Of course, some don't return to the ponds in which they were laid as spawn, they colonize new ponds, otherwise how would these new ponds ever get frogs, toads or newts in them. In the evolutionary time scale, ponds are transient short-lived water bodies (think ox-bow lakes) which may exist for years or decades, but eventually dry up or get invaded by willow, so amphibians must have some strategy for exploring for new spawning sites.
14/03/2009 at 22:39
I too have a small pond - made from a baby bath with pond liner and a few plants. I had two newts last year about this time and they both left after two months. I have found a family of them behind our garage in our wildlife area and too would like to know if they will re-visit our pond. At one point we had two newts and 5 frogs all at one time!!
15/03/2009 at 10:03
GREAT NEWS...i went out to my pond last night and saw not 1 but 2 newts [brill] i just wonder if its the same 2 from last year[it must be,i hope].on a sad note a found a dead frog she had frogspawn still attached to her this morning.what on earth happened there....does anyone know how i can get great crested newts into my garden? the newts i have are palmate i think..
22/03/2009 at 09:18
I have just mooved to sussex with my wife and i am doing gardening for the first time. Yesterday i found three newts under a ceramic rose pot. I have relocated them to a damp corner of the garden. As i did this i found another two in the very place i was relocating the other three, along with a baby slow worm. Think i wil have to create a wildlife corner now!!
24/03/2009 at 18:43
THIS IS FOR SBELLWIRE,WHAT DOES A SLOWWORM LOOK LIKE?SOMEONE I WAS TALK ING TO TODAY SAID THEY ARE PROTECTED?IS THAT TRUE...ALSO WHAT NEWTS DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR GARDEN?
25/03/2009 at 16:23
sbellwire do create a wildlife pond, even a small one. We always had a fish pond and decided a little flat edged wildlife pond would be super at the bottom of the garden. We enjoy watching the different aspects of both ponds now and are always thrilled to see Newts and all the other enchanting creatures water attracts.
13/04/2009 at 11:21
we have a pond of which we allow to do its own things and have been over run by frogs,newts, we have even had 3 albino newts in the last 5 years, The tadpoles cases however have turned brown this year, Are there dead now ? and should we remove them ? or will the newts do that for us ?
19/04/2009 at 13:22
Hello Phil, Gosh, Albino newts must be facinating to see! How wonderful for you. In my experience, the Newts may eat the tadpoles and I generally just leave the frogspawn to do its own thing. Nature at her best perhaps. Enjoy yours!
20/04/2009 at 19:54
About two weeks ago i was doing some gardening, i picked up the watering can and lo n behold there was a frog and its spawn trapped inside.So i had an idea i used an old moulded kids plastic paddling pool filled it with water and placed frog and its spawn inside with afew rocks.You might think so what. Today i was in the shed getting out the lawnmower and guess what i found?A common newt how it got in there i have no idea it looked pretty sorry for himself so i picked it up and placed in the pool with the frogspawn i think that my garden is crying out for a decent pond what do you think?
23/04/2009 at 14:55
we have a small wildlife pond in our garden, holds approx 50 gallons of water, in it we had about 15 frogs(spawning) & i counted at least 8 newts we get them every year ! it has plenty of pond weed & one or two marginal plants for cover. the frogs spawned in mid march & thats when the newts seemed to return. (we live in lincolnshire ) the pond is raised & has ferns & ground cover plants around it, we often see the frogs on the pond edge ready to go hunting for insects in the surrounding cover. spent many hours watching them !!
19/05/2009 at 12:12
hi, we just moved house where there is a small pond. My son suddenly shouted out there is huge tadpoles with long legs. Thinking this just a slight!! exageration i went to have a look. There were 7 Newts. Wow, we are so exited, we also have 3 frogs and several tadpoles. All i read says newts are nocturnal but ours our visisible all day and appear quite friendly - is this normal?
1 to 20 of 34 messages