10 messages
21/05/2009 at 18:09
i thought about coming to see you in the Garden Matters thing but then your lack of Pimms put me off.
21/05/2009 at 18:09
Ps you were amazing on the telly though
21/05/2009 at 18:45
What can I do to make my heavy clay soil more gardeningable? I have tried peat, sand, more peat and manure and still I don`t seem to have made any difference, and could you please give me some advice as to what to do about the incessant and heavy east wind I always seem to have, please?!
22/05/2009 at 08:42
I'm relieved that the delicate flowers of woad would be difficult to create from plasticine!
22/05/2009 at 11:48
FabMonkeyJellyCherry: (interesting nom de web, by the way). Keep on mulching and add some grit for drainage but above all be not downhearted and only plant stuff that likes clay.
22/05/2009 at 20:41
FabMonkeyJellyCherry It's taken me fifteen years to get the clay in my garden into something reasonably workable, so don't be discouraged. Even now I sometimes come across a patch I could make bricks from. Just keep throwing any organic matter you can get your hands on at it: I actually find my own compost is the most effective thing.
23/05/2009 at 10:39
At the moment I have many wonderful woad plants in my garden flowering profusely after planting 2 years ago really as an experiment. I bought the seeds in Somerset at an Anglo Saxon peat village which in itself was very interesting and well worth a visit. What do I do with them now apart from take seed as I don't think I'll be dying wool etc.!!!
24/05/2009 at 19:18
Wot no Pimms? That Men of Harlech song in full: Romans came across the channel All dressed up in tin and flannel Half a pint of woad per man'll Dress us more than these. Saxons you can waste your stitches Building beds for bugs in britches We have woad to clothe us which is Not a nest for fleas Romans keep your armours. Saxons your pyjamas. Hairy coats were made for goats, Gorillas, yaks, retriever dogs and llamas Tramp up Snowdon with your woad on, Never mind if you get rained or blowed on Never want a button sewed on. Go it Ancient B's !!
13/07/2009 at 21:28
to deal with the dreaded clay, just ask everyone for bags of soil and grit for birthdays and Christmas, it's the best presant that anyone could give you,the other best thing is a days help in the garden for a birthday or Christmas presant.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
Talking about plants with great history behind them, I saw a play last night called "The Herbal Bed" which takes place in almost every scene in Shakespeare's son-in-law's garden. The cast of the excellent production had grown the herbs themselves and they were beautiful - i would say at their zenith. They deserved a Chelsea gold medal for such a stage set, and all the keen gardeners in the audience were entranced.
email image
10 messages