Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Open air bliss and bees

I know from the News thr morning that, due to the very wet Summer, there's been a huge increase in our slimy friends (slugs) in the garden - but some of them are HUGE - I thought one that had camped out on our front doorstep was a dog's p**h!!!!

NOW ..., here in Crumlin, N. Ireland (previously from UK!), we now have a PATENTED SLUG MOVER-OFFER & DISPOSAL CONTAINER !!!! I'll bet you all want one, don't you ????

Well, there is a problem, our dog Holly, isn't really patented but she seems to think that 'rescuing' some of her little friends from the cold and wet night is something she should do as 'presents' for us! Never mind the odd one that she eats - perhaps she feels like a snack in the night!!!!

Anyway, if any of your kind readers has any words of wisdom to impart of how we can get 'Sluggs/Holly' to stop bringing in her friends at night we would be very grateful!
Slugs Away!!!!!

• I am really concerned about news stories concerning the 'colony collapse syndrome' in USA. I am therefore going to be proactive about this and plant some bee-friendly plants on my allotment. I am thinking of lavender. What else do they like?
  • My wisteria which I bought in 1999 as an established plant (from the Bigger Tree company) looks as if it has died - in February I pruned it exactly according to the instructions from the Gardeners World. Normally it is so prolific that the new tendrils hae to be cut down before its late summer pruning - but there are no new shoots and some of the leaves are turning yellowwhich normally they do not do until Nov ish. It is planted next to a wall in a small bed carved out from a patio, I normally do not feed it. Conditions have been exceptionally wet in Bristol this summer. It is not in direct sunlight, but has been fine about is position for 8 years, any ideas. - I am really sad as it is extends over a large area and up until now has flowered every spring -
  • I've just found this site (30 june 08)after looking up leaf cutter bees. I have just been watching them under our teak garden table taking in great chunks of leaf into tiny (3/8")screw holes; Don't worry I shall let them be/bee!
  • we bought some tom plants from wilkinsons and we are growing them outside we have lots of toms on but they are still green we have been trimming the leaves regular so that the light can get at them is that right or should we just leave them to grow
  • I am growing the tomatoes that were a free gift with Gardeners World Magazine. They all germinated and have all set fruit but they are still very, very green. Any one got a suggestion as to how to get them to ripen.
  • I think we have something similar eating our climbing roses - they certainly look like a certain Swiss cheese and just like the picture shown.
  • sue4waltsue4walt Posts: 4

should i trim leaves on tomato plants in greenhouse now?