London (change)
Today 8°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
20/01/2013 at 11:42
I have come across yellow,blak with red spots but not orange.
20/01/2013 at 20:48

Rose,

Could be.................the Orange Ladybird, Halyzia 16-guttata, which is fairly widely distributed in the south of Britain. It breeds on Sycamore, Dogwood and a range of other deciduous trees and, interestingly in view of your sighting, hibernates in, among other things, the foliage of Scots Pine.

The colouring and markings of some of the ladybirds is quite variable among individuals of the same species and according to age; some that are supposed to have spots don't, and the pattern variations can be confusing. The Orange Ladybird has white spots and apparently is generally less prone to colour variants than most, but I'm not any sort of an expert to be able to say whether a ladybird was actually a 'wrong-coloured' 10-spot, rather than an orange. It could be this summer's special subject!

20/01/2013 at 20:56

It could be one of the invasive species of the harlequin ladybirds.

Just been looking at this.

http://www.uksafari.com/ladybirdharlequin2.htm

20/01/2013 at 21:13
I found an orange Lady bird last year on my mahonia which was at that time was covered in mildew.
20/01/2013 at 21:26
I'm sure Kate meant this was THE orange ladybird, Halyzia sedecimguttata, as Joe the Gardener suggested. Even ladybirds need scientific names to make sure we all know what we're talking about. One nice feature of this species is the clear, transparent flange along the front of the thorax, like a windscreen, through which it can see. Odd.
23/01/2013 at 10:16

I wrote my post without reading Kate's bloggy thingy, so no wonder it seemed a bit misdirected. Sorry folks - technology confuses me!

26/01/2013 at 01:36

Hi all, sorry for not inluding the scientific name of the orange ladybird! I certainly should have. Sorry for any confusion.

Kate

email image
7 messages