London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
21 to 25 of 25 messages
08/11/2009 at 20:36
I chop mine up small and freeze them. Then I can use whatever quantity I need, ready for the pot. It also saves me from getting the juice embedded in my fingers every time I cook with them. Try as I might to remember, I always manage to rub my eyes after I've been chopping them. They REALLY sting!
26/08/2010 at 13:30
Oncidium orchids are among the most popular orchids in the world because there is a wide variety of orchids to choose from and these plants are universally easy to tend to at home. Read learn more at Top Orchid Care Secrets
24/02/2011 at 17:16
I've tried over wintering a few times. Initially I treated them like house plants. I succeeded but it was extremely hard work due to massive soul destroying aphid infestations. The plants recovered when they'd gone back in the greenhouse in May and cropped very early compared to my new plants. Another year I took them to work - warm and a sunny window sill - but the aphid problem reoccurred and the plants all died. This year I left three plants alone in on a sunny window-sill in a cold but frost free room. Forgot to water them most of the time and all the leaves fell off. The stems are still green though. I started giving them a weekly drink when we hit February and I've pruned them and optimistically expect them to burst into life soon. A fourth plant went in a warmer room (about 15 degrees) by a radiator on another sunny window sill. This one I treated slightly better, it probably got watered a bit more often. The leaves died too but it has already burst into life with new leaves and it has flowers on. So hopefully some nice early chillis there. Even if they don't all make it, it's not really been any effort and I think it's worth a go to save a few of your healthiest plants and get some early chillis.
01/05/2011 at 19:33
I have always found overwintering to work well and produce a great crop. I have been unlucky this year though and los a few plants but still have a black naga plant going strong. I have put up a picture of it here with some hints and tips i found useful in ovwewintering. http://chillipepperheaven.blogspot.com/search/label/Grow%20Your%20Own
28/11/2011 at 18:39
I have a three year old chilli plant so keep going everyone, if I can keep it going anyone can as I am very unloving to it, only occasionally watering in winter whilst it is inside and a bit of feed in the summer if I have a bit left over! It is now getting nice and bushy.
email image
21 to 25 of 25 messages