London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
18 messages
22/02/2010 at 19:18
I would also recommend Adlumia Fungosa as a patio climber. Very pretty and not invasive. Also, on the endangered species list for many US states.
26/02/2010 at 08:36
I also grew lofos from a seed catalogue up a pergola. It took a little while to get going and when it did, looked lovely. I have left it in the ground and am waiting to see what will come of them in the spring. As you mentioned that they are tender, I doubt they will have survived. Back to the catalogue.
26/02/2010 at 15:29
I'm struggling to find the answer to the RHS question. Can anyone suggest 10 plants that are noted for NEEDING shelter. Ideally not ornamental. Thanks SMB
26/02/2010 at 21:27
can you tell me where i can buy the lofos as plug plants? many thanks
27/02/2010 at 13:50
i am trying to find out whereto buy the spraycraversthat keeps pidgeons rabbits ect from eating my cabbage plants recomended in the sun paper. thanks al.
27/02/2010 at 20:02
thankyou Adam, i have found the lofos plants and am considering whether or not to buy them. £15.95 for ten plug plants, do you think this is a reasonable price? were you happy enough with your plants and are they value for money or should i shop around? £15.95 is quite a lot of money for me to part with and i do not want to waste it on something that may be doomed to failure in the area that i live (west yorkshire).
27/02/2010 at 21:19
Lily – 10 plants would be perfect for 2 large tubs, each with a wigwam of canes or some sort of mini obelisk in the top. If you choose a twin pack you could have 5 plants each of 'Burgundy Falls' and 'Summer Cream'. I mixed these two colours together, but you could keep them separate if you prefer. In West Yorkshire and cooler districts I'd recommend potting plugs on delivery into 3in (7.5cm) pots, and waiting for these to root strongly before planting into a larger patio pot. You'll need to keep them in a greenhouse or conservatory. Once planted into the larger pot I'd keep these under cover for at least a fortnight for plants to establish before moving outside to a warm, sunny and sheltered position (probably by mid June). Hope this helps.
28/02/2010 at 20:56
many thanks Adam, i will be ordering the lofos tomorrow and taking your excellent advice on potting on and and WAITING(a bit of sour point with me because i am very impatient) until june to plant out. Lily-mae, ps. Do you think i might be able to plant them out just a little bit earlier than June??
01/03/2010 at 09:30
Lily-mae, It all depends on weather conditions in Late May/early June. There are two aspects to consider. Firstly you always want to avoid moving tender plants outside from their lovely warm growing conditions to cold outdoor conditions that could cause a shock. Of course we always need to harden things off, gradually acclimatising plants to cooler outdoor temperatures, but cold conditions can really stop growth in its tracks. There's nothing to gain putting plants out a week or two early, but lots to lose! Secondly, growing conditions in a greenhouse will be so much better, that an extra fortnight under cover helps plants put on so much more growth than they would achieve outside (both above and below compost). I'm a great advocate of keeping plants under cover a little longer to help them grow to a bigger size before going outside. At this time of year you can almost watch the plants grow each day. I hope this helps.
03/03/2010 at 11:04
I have a deck at the back of the house which gets the afternoon sun, bit of a hotspot though can get the wind whipping round the house as in and open aspect area (scottish border), what potted climber would do well and would it be ok in non heated greenhouse in winter?
14/04/2010 at 18:18
hi i am new to gardening and am looking to cover a ugly wall in the garden and need something that can grow up and around it. I would really like something with colour that last all year round. any ideas...... i live in a rural village and the wind is really quite bad at times and the soil quite peaty so would love some ideas on hardy plants. I love colour and planted sweet pea last year thinking it would come back this year...oops....any advice greatly appriciated thanks
28/05/2010 at 19:01
Have been trying to find Rhodochiton PLANTS, not seeds, and wondered if you have any sources -seeing that you are a vine-lover.
18/08/2010 at 20:52
I live in Wisconsin. Is there any wy to keep Lophospermum alive over the winter?
27/08/2010 at 21:28
Adlumia Fungosa and Lofos are both great choices as far as patio climbers. Make sure that they are taken care of properly or they can cause permanent damage to your structure. Patio Covers generally require very little work to be maintained but being proactive is worth mentioning to prevent any unnecessary future costs. Patio Covers Houston
29/08/2010 at 15:38
If you really in to it you should try the "Japanese barberry" it is a type of shrub but the color and the leaves are very exotic pavers phoenix
03/09/2010 at 08:15
I like the japanese barberry because it's attractive and quite easy to maintain. Doesn't require much attention compared to other patio climbers.
17/09/2010 at 18:29
Did you actually experiment with the lantana? How did that go? Which mail order company would you recommend? Thanks, Duncan of gardenpatioset.com
28/11/2011 at 18:40
Reply to Lily: I think both Suttons Seeds and Dobies sell plug plants by mail order. A Google search will find their web sites, and possibly other suppliers, too.
email image
18 messages