London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
04/05/2011 at 23:11
As a professional landscaper, I would love to have the very small area outside my Victorian semi in Berkshire planted up with appropriate plants. Unfortunately, the theiving people of questionable parentage make this impossible. We have had a hand built trailer, which was parked around the corner, fully protected, stolen by theives with bolt cutters. Our Council rented garage, also around the corner has had attempted thefts by bending the doors 4 times. What have Thames Valley Police done? Sent us a questionnaire about how the crime was handled. No, nobody even turned up to even think about investigating the crime. Since our police are a load of chocolate tea pots we have to park our vehicle in the small space which I would have loved to have made into a Victorian front garden.
05/05/2011 at 00:27
This is how gardening should be done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82UZ3hIezn8
05/05/2011 at 06:48
I shall watch this blog again and again. I do hope the creator (th son) will carry on the gardening tradition and do his lovely mum proud.
05/05/2011 at 09:17
Joseph Woosey - that's interesting. It must break your heart paving over people's gardens when you have suc a wildlife-friendly allotment of your own. whitevan woman - how horrible for you. What a sad reason to have to park your van where you would like a garden. Kate
06/05/2011 at 07:44
I have never paved my front garden, it's on a very steep hill so sideways on runs down with the hill but also have to go down steps to get to the house, filled with flowers but the best way to see it is from the house rather than the road, but people still enjoy it.my daughter has turned her front gsrden over to veggies and the tiny back garden for flowers and sitting, if she ever gets time that is.
06/05/2011 at 07:50
I went to vote yesterday at our local infant school, was appauld that their tiny court yard garden was completly dead, although walking through the coridor to the hall noticed that they make bugs and bees and butterflies to hang on the wall, but no real ones will be seen dead in the excuse for a garden, I hope the parents of the children take charge of the space and make it viable again.
06/05/2011 at 12:58
My tiny 2x4m front garden was completely paved with slabs when we moved into our terraced house in 2000, save one bare square with a dead shrub in it. With no gardening experience to speak of, I gradually removed all the slabs and filled the space with plants. I have now won 1st or 2nd prize in our local Britain in Bloom contest three years running. I doubt it does much to improve drainage but it attracts hundreds of bees and has encouraged my neighbours to start gardening too, now they see what can be done in a small space.
06/05/2011 at 14:53
I have a steep garden. Which I am finding very difficult to manage. I have to make sure I am properly attired with boots, pole to asssist me to get to the top. I feel as if I am climbing mount everest. Each year I promise myself I will keep my dandelions,docks and other weeds under control. I am now having to use weed killer. This year I want to have a good try at this gardening lark. Have already started with raised bed for vegtables and plenty of pots for herbs etc. I am so glad, that I have have found this wonderful website.
07/05/2011 at 07:59
Lazygardner, well done. Try to save up to have your steep garden terraced. Gardening on a dangerous site, you must be sure your anti-tetanus provision is up to date and get good gardening gloves as well. I am sure you will get lots of satisfaction, enjoyment.and good food from your labours and so will lots of other people. do let us know how your garden fares.
07/05/2011 at 19:33
kaet bradbury At the time of doing the job of flaging front gardens and back gardens building roads. And when i was doing all this work. It fed the kids. But it allso got me a lot of plants.All the plants that was getting skiped i put in my garden. So it was not bad for me. Even when i was doing the roads when we was diging the roads up. there was shrubs so i took cutings. So may be it was sad doing front and back gardens. There was sume good cume out of it. And i am still seeing them grow. so thats not to bad is it ? /
08/05/2011 at 17:50
Thank you happymarion for you encouragement. No that it has stopped raining I am going to try to get rid of the weeds by hand first, then if no joy will use weed killer. My garden is terraced with tanalised poles. The sections look like giant steps. There are three sections. Very top of the garden, centre section, third section with my raise bed and pots. Side decking with pots. Then bottom decking (patio) with small green house lean to, and pots. Not to forget side of house, Have to use ladder to get to my fernery well trying to make a fernery. I have a Rowan tree here. Plus middle section has a maple tree. Writing this has made me realise how much work I have to do. I am shattered just thinking about it.
09/05/2011 at 09:40
Joseph Woosey - no, that's pretty lovely, really Kate
09/05/2011 at 10:14
It is a real shame to hear you say that any drive towards complete sustainability in UK gardens is facing a wall. Considering how many laws are simply ignored with regards landscaping and gardening process it is surely the duty of the media to highlight this consistently? Even the US are starting to embarass the UK as advocates of sustainable land management.
10/05/2011 at 10:44
happymarion,i think you should blog some pictures of your garden..... [myself would love to see it] and as regards to your certificates thats great,how did you go about getting them and whom from...ive never heard of that before... i think or should i say thought my garden was/is wildlife friendly now im wondering how else i can improve it. how did your garden event go?
10/05/2011 at 12:05
Great "open day" for both "my public" and me, Sarah's pondlife. The weather and the garden were exquisite. As for certificates for the garden - Bristol in Bloom used to have a section for the best wild-life garden. It has been dropped now but I still enter it for the pensioners' front garden category. Last year I had a silver award so am aiming at a gold this year. It gets judged at the end of July. The prizes are great, not just money in the form of gardening vouchers, but I had a lovely cedar wood bird table which lasted for donkey's years. When I find out how to blog pictures( I knew only one kind of mouse till three years ago) you shall have some. Of course you must find out about competitions and flower shows. They are great fun and very rewarding.
29/05/2011 at 21:47
In kirkby where i live.In the last ten years the local council has built houses every where. they got rid of schools and built houses evrey bit of land even where the kids played football but now it is slowing down the land that is left is geting used for parks and allotments so we are fighting back this is what we shuld be doing stoping the builders from geting the land and let the locals make gardens parks and allotments comunity gardens with the local councils you will find it will be a better place to live what do you gardeners out ther think. more houses or more gardens and allotments
29/05/2011 at 21:56
In kirkby where i live.In the last ten years the local council has built houses every where. they got rid of schools and built houses evrey bit of land even where the kids played football but now it is slowing down the land that is left is geting used for parks and allotments so we are fighting back this is what we shuld be doing stoping the builders from geting the land and let the locals make gardens parks and allotments comunity gardens with the local councils you will find it will be a better place to live what do you gardeners out there think. more houses or more gardens and allotments or do you think it shuld be houses
16/08/2011 at 12:42
Great article a i think it is important to take great care of your garden and make it look Pretty. these gardens look fab www.awningsscotland.com
28/11/2011 at 18:43
I think Kate was referring to commercial horticulture, Gwen. Gardeners World is very keen on us all carrying out sustainable gardening and do try very hard to garden organically as Monty is illustrating in his own garden. I just loved the bit last week about feeding the slugs and snails with comfrey leaves so they are too full to attack your hostas. I have two framed certificates for the "Best Wildlife Garden in Bristol", dated 1990 and 1992, so many of us have been gardening for wildlife as well as ourselves for a long time. It was only the gardening press and a few books on the subject that persuaded me and I am so glad they did.
email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages